Cake Collapse

Decorating By ecstaticjellybean Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 1:02pm by leah_s

ecstaticjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecstaticjellybean Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:54am
post #1 of 4

I made a cake for a joint 30th - 60th birthday party a couple of months ago and it was my first 3 teir. I bought wide bubble straws and put a cut-to-size cake board between each teir. In the bottom layer i used 5 straws, in the middle teir 4, and i put a straw right down through the top teir and into the middle teir.

My customer put a picture of the cake on Facebook the day after the party, and the bottom teir of the cake was collapsing on one side.
I sent her a message asking what happened, but she never replied.

I delivered the cake to her house and she took it to the venue herself, so there is a possibility this happened in transit, and someone i know who was at the party said she thought she heard someone say that that was what had happened, but i still can't shake the worry that it was my fault for not supporting it properly.

I DID get a message from the customer a month later asking if i would contact a friend of hers who wanted a cake.

If it was my fault, surely she wouldn't be reccomending me to her friends?

What do you think people???

3 replies
visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 4

Pardon me if I sound stupid. But what are Bubble Straws.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 4

I've never used bubble straws, I use wood dowels, so I don't know specifically if those could contribute. But I had a similar one side sag once and it was because I had cut the dowels a tad too short on one side so the cake was taking on the weight on that side instead of the dowels, luckily it was for family not a customer.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 4

May I introduce you to SPS? You're days of a collapsing cake will be over. Even if the customer transports the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%