Sps Success

Decorating By hammer1 Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm by PoodleDoodle

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 17

Did our first cake with the sps stand.....wow it was great. We even had to go down a hilly snow covered lane, that cake never moved. Thanks to Leah and all those who have discussed this support system here on cake central. If you look at our pictures you can see we have avoided the directly stacked cakes, now we don,t have to.

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif

You're welcome. "Another member of the SPS Choir."

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 17

I just received my SPS. I have a wedding cake order in Jan & I still haven't figured out how to make each tier 4 inches tall. I tried adding extra icing between each layer on a cake I made yesterday & it still wasn't 4 inches tall. Those plastic dowels look to strong to cut.

Glad to hear that it worked so well for you.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 17

I love the SPS and the legs really are not bad to cut at all icon_smile.gif I buy the 9" legs mostly now. A miter saw works great but a key hole saw or hack saw if you don't have a miter saw. thumbs_up.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:41am
post #5 of 17

ok guys guessing i am gonna have to try this. have not made a stacked cake so far, but i know i will have to eventually, would rather be comfortable with it. so guys what do i need to make it work? do u have to have it for a special size of cake? i mean if i get one to practice what should i get?

leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 17

steff, have you read the instructions on the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum? Scroll to page 15.

leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #7 of 17

Poodle, It sounds like you're just not putting enough batter into your pans. The cake should rise to just over the top of the pan. You can use the top edge of the pan and a knife to level. With filling that should put you just a wee bit more than 4", but will work fine with SPS. Just remember to take the collars off.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:49am
post #8 of 17

I finally tried SPS this week, as well. I am hooked! Definitely a choir member, Leah!

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 6:00am
post #9 of 17

k im outa the loop i guess..what is an sps...lol..sorry

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 17

A very good and affordable support system.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 17

couldn't find it at that link...could someone post a pic of it...thanks...

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 17

Karen's link is fine. That's the Sticky that explains how to use the system. You have to scroll to page 15 of the sticky for the picture tutorial. All the older links in the older parts of the thread have crashed.

PoodleDoodle Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 17

Leah_s - I believe you are correct on my not putting enough batter in the pan. My cake doesn't rise all the way to the top of the pan. I'm hoping that when I bake my wedding cakes I can fill the pans fuller without wasteing batter. Do you know how many cups of batter you put in a 10, 8 & 6 inch pans? I usually follow the Wilton recommendations but it's not quite enough.

Thanks,

leah_s Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 17

I use about 2 1/4 cups in a 6", 3 3/4 cups in an 8" and 5 cups in a 10"

The Wilton numbers from the chart are a bit skimpy. But then, if you've ever measured the inside of a W pan, they're not uniformly 2" deep. Wilton, phtbtf

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 17

Just curious. Do you guys use them for 2 tier cakes, or do you think its a waste. I always do, but am wondering if its overkill for just 2 tiers.

PoodleDoodle Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks Leah. I'll definately increase the amount of batter. I agree with you on the Wilton pans. Once I baked a 9 inch wilton & a 9 inch majic line & the cakes weren't even close to the same diameter.

Thanks again,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%