Help, What Should I Do -- Too Much Butter

Baking By Echooo3 Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 3:35am by letsgetcaking

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 8

I started to make peanut butter cookies (my favorite recipe) but just realized I put 1/2 cup too much butter in the peanut butter/butter/shortening/sugar mixture.

1) should I try to double the recipe? which i doubt will fit in my mixer

2) go ahead an make them with the extra butter (won't the spread bad?)

Here is the recipe
2.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

What would you do?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 8

Test one cookie in the oven & see what happens--if you don't like the outcome then...

Make another batch and omit the butter--the shortening in the second batch will do it's thing enough with the eggs & sugar & stuff--so that won't be a problem. Then combine both batches carefully. They might become a bit tough, as in bready for the extra mixing but it will be more close to right.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

I would definitely double the recipe. If the amount won't fit, double the wet ingredients first, then divide it and separate some into a separate bowl. Then add the dry ingredients to each batch of wet ingredients. You can never have too many peanut butter cookies! Yum!

Echooo3 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 8

[quote="-K8memphis"]Test one cookie in the oven & see what happens quote]

K8memphis -- that's a GREAT suggestion. I've got "one" cookie in the oven right now and fingers crossed. I'll let you know what happens although I must say the dough is very soft and fluffy.

YorkieMaMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YorkieMaMa Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 8

You may have come up with a great new cookie recipe and didn't even know it! I'll check back later and see what you say.

Echooo3 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 8

Surprisingly the cookie did not spread. It maintained the shape, I used a 1" cookie scoop, topped it with a hershey kiss when it came out of the oven.

Taste test: The cookie was a very tender "melt-a-way" consistancy. Looked fine and tasted pretty darn good. I don't think they would pack well due to them being so tender.

I really don't understand why it didn't spread out from all the fat. Oh well, I certainly am not a scientist.

Thanks.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 8

YAY!!!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:35am
post #8 of 8

Cool! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%