Clueless Please Help!

Decorating By Christina1207 Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 4:18am by adventuregal

Christina1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina1207 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 13

Okay i made a large gingerbread house this year and Christmas is just days away and I dislike how the gingerbread house has come out. So i am wondering if there is anything I can to make it look better. There is something missing and I can't put my finger on it. It's not my favorite work but this is my first attempt of making a big gingerbread house instead of the box kits sold at the stores. Please let me know what you think and what i can do. I have lights under the white stuff so at night it's lit up and there is a light inside of the house. Thank you. icon_cry.gif Take at look at my photo it won't let me attach it to the forum.

12 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 13

It's not in your photos yet.....

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 13

That is really cute, you did a good job. i would suggest some windows with some scallop work around them.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 13

What do you have on the roof? Maybe some gumdrops would make it stand out more.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 13

I think your basic house design came out excellent for a first time! You just need to add more candy and/or decoration. I agree that you need to add windows with candy or scroll work around them (probably on all sides of the house). You can also use a tip #7 to do icicles off your candy canes.

I haven't been brave enough to make my own gingerbread for a house yet--I just used the Wilton Giant GB house kit. You are welcome to take a look at my "kit" GB house to see if you can get any ideas. Just click on the www link at the bottom of my post.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 13

Maybe a few spearmint leaves (gumdrops candies) as bushes in the yard to add a little color there? It's very cute, and I know it's better than I could have done.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 13

Yep, the first thing I though was windows and maybe a gingerbread man outside and more colorful candies. Keep up the good work!

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 13

Royal icing icicles/snow along the roof, pez brickwork on the walls, royal icing wreaths?

Christina1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina1207 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 13

How would i do the wreaths out of RI, I know how to do the icicles. Also how would I go about making a scallop edges around the windows?

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:31am
post #10 of 13

Easy breezy wreaths, just tint your royal icing and using a star tip, pipe stars in a circle onto a Silpat or possibly wax paper. You can tint some icing red and pipe a bow onto the top using a small round tip or get creative and play a little icon_smile.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:53am
post #11 of 13

Excellent job for a first time house! They are so much fun, I think the one thing I'd do is make the top gabled half of the house different from the bottom part...like a shingle or siding or an anything just to break up the expanse of gingerbread...my GB houses this year were an almost identical design and you can look at my pics to see what I'm talking about with breaking up the height of the house. Keep up the good work you did great thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:02am
post #12 of 13

hi, your gingerbread house is really good for it to be your first time. I also glue down at least 4 large marshmellows with r/i.on each side of the house, then i use a #16 star tip and pipe green stars all over each marshmellow. after that, sets up, i pipe some r/i snow on with a 7-8 tip. makes it look really nice for the bushes to be down beside the house.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:18am
post #13 of 13

I don't do them, but I wanted to say kudos to you for having the patience! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%