Help! Ideas For A "cupcake Making Kit" For My Mil

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 16

So my mother-in-law is always putting herself down, saying, "Oh that looks too complicated" when it comes to doing some nice cupcake or cake decorating. I taught her the classic 1M and 2D tip decorating, but for Christmas I thought I'd put together a kit for her to move her up.

Some things I thought about including were a new cupcake tin (she only has one), some cute wrappers, and some large disposable piping bags (she already has tips).

But, what are the MUST haves for you when decorating cupcakes? If I can, I might include a cupcake book, but it's kind of crunch time (I blame DH for this fact).

My limit is around $30, so nothing too expensive.

15 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 16

I would definately get her a cupcake idea book so she has step-by-step directions.

One idea is to get those pre-made royal icing flowers and some colored sugar pearls so she can just place the decorations how she wants them w/o having to create them herself. This would be a great step in building cupcake confidence icon_wink.gif Then maybe after the holiday craziness you can sit down with her and show her how to make the flowers herself (Put a coupon in the kit for a private cupcake lesson).

This sounds like a great idea and I hope both you and your MIL have fun with it icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

I would definately get her a cupcake idea book so she has step-by-step directions.

One idea is to get those pre-made royal icing flowers and some colored sugar pearls so she can just place the decorations how she wants them w/o having to create them herself. This would be a great step in building cupcake confidence icon_wink.gif Then maybe after the holiday craziness you can sit down with her and show her how to make the flowers herself (Put a coupon in the kit for a private cupcake lesson).

This sounds like a great idea and I hope both you and your MIL have fun with it icon_smile.gif

Oh the coupon idea is absolutely wonderful! I hadn't thought of that but my mom suggested putting together some instructions, but I think this would work out much better. icon_biggrin.gif

And I can definitely get my hands on some pre-made flowers.

Thanks!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 16

Ice cream scoop! icon_wink.gif

emrldsky Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Ice cream scoop! icon_wink.gif

I actually use a cookie scoop, but I don't think she has a larger one (just a small one). I'll add that to the list.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 16

Is she a visual learner? Do you have a camera that does video? You could make her little tutorials on doing the 1M rosette, the simple flower with the petal tip that I use on cupcake bouquets.
If you want goodies to add in, buy that better quality liners like the Reynolds foil liners with the pretty patterns. The cupcake papers that you wrap around the cupcakes are cute and really fancy up a cupcake without too much work..you could go crazy with sprinkles.
Last year my sister gave me a nice cupcake stand and she tied sprinkles to all the cupcake holders. It looked really cute.

What about the Cake Mix Doctor book? Simple good recipes that do not require exotic ingredients.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 16

I have 4 total scoops I think. The one I use for the cupcakes is about a 1/4th of a cup. My cookie scoops are smaller. You could also get her the mini cupcake pans. icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 16

If you are limited to $30, I'd suggest either "Hello Cupcake" or "What's New Cupcake" books by Karen Tack. Pick out 2 specific designs that you think she will like, then buy the specific candies/tips/tools etc. needed for those 2 designs. Put everything for each design in a box or bag along with a photocopy of the pages from the book. Package all this up in one big nice box with the coupon for teaching lessons suggested above attached the the outside in a card.

If she has everything on hand and the instructions to make 2 cupcake wonders, she'll be inclined to do more from the book on her own later!

Good luck.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 16

Sprinkles!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Last year my sister gave me a nice cupcake stand and she tied sprinkles to all the cupcake holders. It looked really cute.

? please explain

emrldsky Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:57pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you everyone! I knew I could count on you to help out!!!

I'm going to start compiling a list of ideas and things to buy and go for it. icon_biggrin.gif Sooo excited to do this for her.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

? please explain

Sorry that wasn't very clear was iticon_smile.gif The stand she bought me was like this one but silver.

She purchsed several containers of sprinkles (in plastic jars) and tied ribbons around the jars and tied them to the stand. So instead of cupcakes each little opening had different sprinkles etc) You could also of course put cute liners in some of them.

I wish I had taken a picture...it was a super cute gift.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 16

And I agree with Texas Sugar, I think scoops would be a great gift. I have the regular cupcake scoop and the cookie scoop for minis and I'm lost without both. I actually need to double up on my scoops...I hate washing them between flavors.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 16

You can never have too many sprinkles or edible glitter! The cupcake stand idea w/ the sprinkles is a super cute idea...but I think you could do the same with your cupcake pan you were planning to get your MIL. Happy shopping!

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 16

deff sprinkles and sugars and other decorations to inspire her to create something of her own and explore!

emrldsky Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone...I had to make a choice between a book and the scoop otherwise I would have been even more over-budget, but I got the scoop for her.

Now I just have to wrap everything, put it all in the nice container I found, and then I'm sure she'll be thrilled. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%