Best Cake Gift For 10 Year Old?

Decorating By Beansss Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 5:00am by sweetcakes

Beansss Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 15

Trying to think of something to get my neice for Christmas. She is really into cake decorating and such. She helped me to make the flowers for the zebra cake in my gallery.

What would be something fun to get her for around $30? I know she's already getting some basics (pans, wilton toolkit, etc). I'm drawing a blank as to what else. Anyone have any ideas??? icon_smile.gif

14 replies
PaulaPea Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 15

Cupcake Book like Hello Cupcake
Wilton book with ideas and instructions
Wilton Practice Cards
Message Stamps (not sure if that's what they are called, but you can spell out what you want, press it into your buttercream so you can trace over it)
Her own tips
Fun stuff like edible glitter, gel food coloring, that sort of thing
HTH

Beansss Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 15

Great ideas, PaulaPea! I'm thinking of taking a trip up to Michael's and getting some of those items and seeing what else looks fun. Love the cupcake book idea too! icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 15

a turntable icon_smile.gif even a nice lazy susan would be good at that age i think.

Or a cupcake/cake carrier.

A small recipe book with some of your favorite recipes to bake/decorate with. Hand written of course. Hand written recipes are one of the top things i've received as gifts from family and they are some of my most prized things in my kitchen.

cownsj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 15

Also, how about a special apron? (If you can fit it into the budget with the other items), or a child's chef jacket?

Beansss Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 15

GREAT ideas! I love the idea of the handwritten recipes! Apron is a great idea too. Wish I would have planned ahead and had time to get something personalized for her. There is a lady on Etsy that probably could have made me something really cute! Maybe for her birthday...

Thanks ladies! icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 15

There are lots of stores that sell monogrammed aprons. Actually I have received two as gifts. Kirkland's even had really cute Monongrammed aprons in funky colors that I think a 10 yr old would like. My vote is the Hello Cupcake or What's New Cupcake books. Super cute and easy decorations. Plus you get to play with Candy. If you go with that, get some of the candies needed to decorate the cupcakes so she can hit the ground running.

metria Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 15

i bought the Williams-Sonoma Star Wars cookie cutters for a couple people this Christmas:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/2920254/?pkey=cbakeware-new&cm_src=hero

ccc407 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 15

Beansss, if you are going to Michael's, visit their web site and print their 20% coupon. It it good for regular AND sale items.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 15

Her own gumpaste tools set and some flower cutters.

tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 15

All of these are great ideas...I think fun things like glitter and disco dust make for fun cake making. And I agree that Hello, Cupcake would be a great book for her to try out some fun (and fairly simple) cupcakes. Happy shopping!!

Beansss Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:03am
post #12 of 15

Wow! Thank you so much for all these great ideas! I looked up the Hello Cupcake book and I think it is just perfect for her. Simple, easy, and CUTE! I think I will get her the book, and some of the candies they used in the book, along with some edible glitter, etc too. She's gonna love it! icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much again! I would have never thought of that on my own. And if she's still cakin' around her bday, I'll def pick up some of the other things you ladies came up with. icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #13 of 15

Today only, Barnes & Noble has a 25% off coupon. Here's the code: V9T8A8C
PLUS, it's the last day for free delivery.

adventuregal Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:19am
post #14 of 15

a goodie bag of petal, luster, and disco dusts with a few brushes icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:00am
post #15 of 15

plus along with the actual items perhaps you could make up some coupons for cake time with you. Say a cupcake lesson or a cookie lesson. I used to love it when my kids would make little booklets with coupons just for me. Perhaps she will too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%