My Cake Pics..

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm by pinkpiggie78

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:33am
post #1 of 20

I post my cake pics and are so proud with the hard work I have done on them..yet..no one seems to view it or comment. I comment on a lot of ppl's cakes even ones when I've seen only my comment posted b/c I know what it feels like to get a comment. I was sooo proud of my curious george and it just seems like no one cares,,but only the perfect ones on favs....I feel that ppl that are NOT perfect or professional enough on their work, get skipped over and nothing said. I"m sorry,,It just makes me not look forward to posting my hard work on here anymore b/c I feel rejected..

Thanks for reading my concerns and I'm saying this not only for myself, but a lot of newbies/not pro's at this skill when they try to be..

Jenifer

19 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #2 of 20

I guess that's why the "undernoticed cakes" thread exists:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579322.html

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:33am
post #3 of 20

I get where you're coming from...I feel like I'm pretty average in my skills right now. I've grown alot, but am definitely not perfection. The thing is, I get on here mostly for the forums so I never really upload or comment/look at others photos. I wouldn't let it discourage you...it isn't a reflection of your work.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:38am
post #4 of 20

Also don't forget some cakes don't stay up in that preview window very long. You will notice Sunday and Monday tons of new cakes get loaded from the weekend so it's possible an awesome cake gets pushed through before anyone can notice. I will say this, if I take the time to look at a cake. I will comment and if I favorite a cake, I always comment. Don't let it get you down.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:56am
post #5 of 20

Another thing too, is that if you have very specific designs that you are creating, chances are not many will favorite them. I looked at you cake pics, you are doing well and need to just keep it up.... I noticed that they are very custom to who ordered them- lots of Texas-ish stuff, the hangar cake...all very cool and probably wowed the customer- I on the other hand am not going to favorite those kind of cakes because I don't live in TX, know anyone who flies anything...etc..etc..People tend to save the cakes that they are either inspired by, or want to re-create and have to refer to later... mostly general stuff like polka dots, flowers, stripes.
Also, cell phone camera pics tend to blur out details and don't gain the interest that the professional quality photos get.
Keep posting Jen- do not give up! You will only get better and better, and It would be cool for you to have a photographic log of your creative progress.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:58am
post #6 of 20

Jenscreativity,its ok that you put your concerns on this new thread. you don,t have to post it on the undernoticed cakes. When i do see a cake on home page and i click on it, i do make a comment. I might save one. All of mine aren,t always looked at (or much anyway), After this long of a time being on here. I overlook it. You will too. Dont, stop posting your pics. Theres lots of decorators on here. They sometimes are too busy to stop and comment, so , just say, thats ok and post another one. lol!! thats what i do. stay with us and keep on making pretty cakes.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:36am
post #7 of 20

yes I get discouraged too when I make a cake I think is awesome & it gets zero or just one comment. there are so many photos on here though you can't take it so personally. I looked at your pics & say the photos are very grainy and don't show the details very well, so I'd recommend trying to take better photos. you'll notice those are the ones that get "most saved" and lots of comments.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:59am
post #8 of 20

i relate to what you are saying, id like some constructive critisim or something as im still very much learning.. but i cant even get any of mine to upload to the site lately... its driving me mental.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 20

WOW! Everyone is SOOOO kind on here and thank you greatly! The comments mean the world to me b/c I do get down easily and it's through hurt, no anger..I'm glad others are with me in this subject, as I was starting to take it personal. I do this for fun and I'm trying to hard to get better and better with my work, as I'd like to open my own place one day, but finances are tough also. I'm not in Texas, but it does seem like some of these are from Texas..true on that. So thoughtful of you taking the time out to reply to me...

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 20

On the weekends there are literally hundreds of cakes that get uploaded. I wait till Wed or Thursday to upload mine so they have a better shot at getting noticed. Two things to remember...most people are lurkers...they may enjoy your cakes but don't take the time to comment...and when it comes to favorites many people only choose those cakes they want to use for inspiration. So sometimes you will see something like a pattern or something in the most saved. I'm proud of the cakes that do get noticed but lots and lots of them don't. Keep working at it...there are those of us who do comment all the time on cakes and those who just lurk unless they see something that is competition perfect and then they post something. So hang in there!

Cat

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 20

I also understand where you are coming from, because I don't get a lot of comments or favs ether, but I don't let it get to me to much because the people who I make the cakes for really enjoy them, and those are the comments I am more interested in getting. Don't get me wrong, any comment from people are greatly appreciated, but that is not what I make cakes for. I make cakes because it is something I like to do and the people I make them for enjoy them. CC is a fun place to post pics and get a lot of ideas. The comments are just extra. Keep posting, because if something happens to you camera or computer you can always have your pics saved. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 20

you might be better putting your cakes on somewhere like facebook, so your friends can see them, they are maybe more likely to comment than the 1000s that simply browse cc in their lunch break for ideas, while looking at the 1000s of pictures that are uploaded each day.
xx

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 20

I know how you feel. I figure that if someone is going to save it as a favorite they could at least make a comment! That's what I do.

Susieindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susieindy Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 20

A lot of my cakes don't get a lot of comments either, but I've noticed that the ones that do get comments and favorited are the ones that are simple, and something that they might be interested in re-creating, or used for inspiration. I made a graduation cake that was a very simple design that many people saved to their favorites, and I think people liked it because it was simple. The cakes that I spent the most time on did not seem to get much attention. Don't let it discourage you.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb419

I also understand where you are coming from, because I don't get a lot of comments or favs ether, but I don't let it get to me to much because the people who I make the cakes for really enjoy them, and those are the comments I am more interested in getting. Don't get me wrong, any comment from people are greatly appreciated, but that is not what I make cakes for. I make cakes because it is something I like to do and the people I make them for enjoy them. CC is a fun place to post pics and get a lot of ideas. The comments are just extra. Keep posting, because if something happens to you camera or computer you can always have your pics saved. icon_smile.gif

DITTO! Barb, you took the words right out of my mouth!!icon_smile.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb419

, because if something happens to you camera or computer you can always have your pics saved. icon_smile.gif

Great idea!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif! Never thought of that and will have this in mind always!Thanks Barb419!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 20

I think the Facebook idea mentioned upthread is a great one. There are other cake boards too with lighter memberships where more notice is given to cake pictures.
Clearly CC is not the place for the feedback bell to get rung.
Clearly the feedback appetite is in starvation mode for some of us.
Keep posting here and enjoy this board for it's strengths but find another board or another way to get commentary.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:14pm
post #18 of 20

K8memphis has a good point. Wilton has a forum on their website and it is a lot more about showing your work and getting feedback. I think CC is a better forum for learning. They both have a place in the online community but I really need the learning and experience of CC for what I want to get out of caking.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:14pm
post #19 of 20

I've been a member here for a long time, and went through the same feelings. Now, you may look in my photos and say, well you have lots of 'favorites' on your pix... that's because I removed all of them except the ones that had enough favorites on it that I wasn't allowed to remove them. You'll also notice I haven't posted a cake in a looong time. I figured out that this was not the best place to get the stroking on your work. People seem to be busy doing other things, posting in threads, etc. and commenting on pix doesn't happen as much as when this site was relatively new. This is a complaint that has been posted by probably hundreds of people, unfortunately it's probably not going to change. There was even a group at one point who would attempt to go through all the cakes with no comments and make comments, but it was so much work! It kind of took the fun out of it.

When I look at a cake I usally comment. There are only three reasons I won't... 1.) If the cake already has 30+ comments and I figure they don't need one more saying the same thing. Unless it really knocks my socks off, then I will still say something. 2.) If the cake is really so bad that I can't come up with anything nice to say. Sometimes "Nice borders" just sounds sarcastic! 3.) If I'm looking for something particular and quickly clicking through photos to find it. In that situation I don't have the time to comment on each one I click on.

But I also try to make my comments substantive. Not just "Nice". SO it takes me longer to comment. I like to come up with somehting that specifically I find nice, or something like that, so they know I really looked at it, and I really enjoyed it. That may mean I make less commnets per day, but the comments in general are more tailored.
Keep your chin up and love what you're doing.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm
post #20 of 20

I agree with some of the other posters that the pics I typically save are those that are generic, simple yet stunning, or really different that I hope to use as inspiration in the future. I saw that several of your cakes included licensed characters, and I never save those since you can't sell them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%