How Do I Get My Fondant To Go On Smooth?? Help!!!

Decorating By Heather1172 Updated 20 Dec 2010 , 1:20am by cownsj

Heather1172 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1172 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

I have a few questions....Should I refridgerate my cake before I attempt to put the fondant on the cake? And how thick does the icing need to be? I just can't seem to get a regular cake covered like I want. I just ordered some Fondx, so hopefully, maybe that will help. Guess we'll see. Any suggestions/instructions would be great!!!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 5

hi, look at the site

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/how.htm

also, on youtube , look at sweetwise using "the mat". Also , so many tutorials on youtube of covering cakes in fondant. Look at Planet Cakes tutorila(great) on how they do it. Aine2(c/cer ) shows on youtube. She has a great site. Look up her user name and it will lead to her web site. you will get great tips from these tutorials. hth

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 5

I have used fondX a few times, and found it to be very soft, so if your not used to using fondant, you could have trouble picking it up and over to the cake. I have bought the MAT from sweetwise and its great... and I have rolled it out pretty thin, at least half as thin as what I can with bakels.
and as icer101 says, check out youtube its all practice practice practice. !
oh and is it a round or a square cake.. round is easier.. icon_smile.gif

Heather1172 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1172 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 5

Thank y'all so much for the input!! The websites were really helpful. I think I will be ordering the MAT also! I will be practicing....practice makes perfect! thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 5

Now that you've gotten some good replies, I'm going to go off on a tangent here. Ever read the title of some of the threads and have a smart a@$ answer for the title? I have that happen to me very often. And when I read the title to your thread, my first thought was, "have someone else do it"...... (That isn't meant for you specifically, but for me and everyone else it applies to.) Sorry, but once you had your answers I thought I'd just say it. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%