Help!! Making A Gelatin Sheet...

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 19 Dec 2010 , 6:45pm by bobwonderbuns

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to make a couple of gelatin sheets to go around a "glass of milk" cake. I bought the Gelatin Designs Swirled Dots individual sheet. Great. (I thought this would be easy to do, as I've worked with gelatin a couple of times before.) Problem is, when I brush the gelatin onto the sheets, it beads and leaves holes in the sheet. After the first disaster, I brushed some gelatin on, then came back a half hour later and brushed a bunch more gelatin on, to fill up the holes. Problem with that is it takes forever to dry (over 24 hours) and it still has some holes. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to do a full sheet of gelatin? I've even tried to find some pre-made gelatin sheets and can't seem to find them around where I live. Is there a different technique to try, so my gelatin won't bead? Or, does anyone have a better idea on how to make a glass of milk without the sheets? Thanks so much!

5 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 6

Put the sheet on an old towel then put it on a heating pad. Use a 3 inch paint brush (for food use only) and paint long strokes. It will take a long time to dry (overnight) and it will curl up but don't worry about that, it can be fixed. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

morrisaz2004 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much! I will try this. Is there a reason that the gelatin is beading up? Do I leave the heating pad on the whole time it's drying? Sorry for all of the questions, but I think I'm about ready to pull some hair out. I feel like I've tried everything....I appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 6

No problem, gelatin work takes some getting used to. No, you don't leave the heating pad on the entire time, just time enough to spread the gelatin on. Go off the edges of the plastic then pick up the old towel and move the entire thing to a flat drying area. The gelatin is probably beading because either A) you didn't skim the foam off when heating it up, or B) you put it on too thick and unevenly. The big brush will help with this. I do two or three thin coats.

morrisaz2004 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks again! Off to buy a different brush and to try the heating pad. I appreciate you answering all of my questions. I've been reading all of your posts on this (pages and pages).......I still have a lot to learn. Happy Holidays!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

ha ha ha!! Yes, there is a LOT to learn!! It's like learning a new musical intrument, the fun really begins once you learn the techniques~! Any more questions I'm here! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%