Turning In A Bad Check

Business By awatterson Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm by awatterson

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 10:49pm
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

...cakesdevine, In VA we have to send a certified letter and wait 30 days. We can recover 3 times the amount of the check up to $250 plus the amount of the check. I don't want all of that money, I just want what she owes me.

But what do you do when you cross state lines with the bank & all? Who's on first?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 10:53pm
post #32 of 44

Check your own state laws, but in most cases the "crime", so to speak is where the transaction occurs. She gave you the check in your state. But, you may have rights in both states. If your state permits, and you get a claim against her in small claims court, you can get a hold put on her bank account, most likely, even in another state. But again, that's an additional expense to pay the courts to take this action. Even a judgement only means they "must" pay you, it doesn't mean they will.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 10:57pm
post #33 of 44

How messy. Great reason to invoke "local checks only" going forward.
Which is making me remember to be more careful in the store.

So sorry!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #34 of 44

USAA only has 1 bank and it is in Texas. They are a military bank. I have a USAA account myself, but the check was written to my business account, so I can't cash it with my USAA account. USAA does online banking where you just scan your checks on the scanner and that is how you get the money.

I think the only checks that I will take now are people who have successfully given me a check before. Or if I do take a check from my other friends they are going to have to give it to me at least 3 weeks in advance.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:13pm
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

It is possible she had the money when she ordered the cake (just playing devil's advocate here, and giving another thought......), but something happened between when you got the check and went to cash it. She could have had an emergency that took her money. And she could be too embarassed to have to admit there is a problem. There is a whole psychology having to do with people who are in debt, and it includes embarassement, withdrawal, humiliation, intimidation, insecurity, helplessness.......... you get the idea. Now, none of this is your doing, nor is it your problem. However, understanding it can help you to work effectively with her to get you paid. And while I know you want and maybe even need her to pay it all, immediately, if she can't, she can't, so working a payment plan out with her in a way she can handle both financially and emotionally, can in fact get you paid. All this providing that she just found herself in a bad situation. Just a thought.

(From a website on the subject)

10 Emotions of Debt
Emotions can be deadlier then debt itself.

We interviewed Paul, he was willing to share his roller coaster ride with debt and the emotional problems it caused him. Paul is like most people a good person that made bad decisions.

One of the things Paul pointed out was he got to the point where he felt out of control. He hoped it would just fix itself which it didn't, this made things worse when he had to face up to the problems.

The first 5 emotions

Fear - fear of not knowing what to do.
Frustration - allowing yourself to get in this position.
Guilt - not being able to meet you obligations.
Worry - what is going to happen.
Anxiety - the culmination of the above.
Paul listed these as the first emotions that came with the realization that he was in trouble with his debt. He started getting calls from the lenders and panic set in.

Like many people Paul is a good person and these emotions are common because most people didn't deliberately go into debt with the intention of not paying it back.
Paul got caught up in the hype and ease of buying a house he couldn't really afford, getting the home equity to fix it up and believing the headlines that the rise in prices would never end.
Paul woke up one day and found his bills were more than his paycheck and the headaches began. As interest rates rose and housing prices fell the tide turned. Unable to refinance his house or borrow any more money he was faced with the reality of debt.
This is such a common story among us today and there are more chapters to be written. Even though Paul is working through this problems it's still a stress for him and his family.

The Next 5 emotions

Anger - that he let this happen, he let himself get trapped, even thinking it was a deadly sin.

Shame - that he was losing his house and car.

Hopelessness - regression, he lost sight of a solution.

Panic - not knowing what to do.

Failure - disruption of his families lifestyle, his responsibility to care for them.

Waaaaaah! Pffffffft. Pay up sucker.

cownsj Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:18pm
post #36 of 44

I totally agree with "pay up sucker". It's their responsibility, and no one has the right to just go ahead and order things like this when they don't need it and can't pay for it. Unfortunately, people feel it's ok to do just that because they want to impress others, or forwhatever reason. But that is just information as to what happens. It's information I like to have to be able to use to my advantage. And frankly, I'd rather get paid, however I have to do it, than be right and indignant and be fighting for it. But that's just me.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:29pm
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntlySpeakingKarma

Waaaaaah! Pffffffft. Pay up sucker.

I saw a bumper sticker on a car yesterday that said:

Economics for dummies: Spend less than you earn!

Makes perfect sense to me.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:35pm
post #38 of 44
Quote:

audrey0522, my bank just sent me a copy of the check, so I can't try to cash it again. I wish they sent me the check because I know when her pay day is and I would have taken it right then.

I dont know if anyone has said this already but you can take the copy back to your back and redeposit it. My bank allows me to redeposit the same check three times. It may bounce every time it hits her bank but at least you know she is getting charged whopping NSF fees (maybe even more than the cost of the cake).

And if your bank is charging your account $12 for a returned check I would find another bank. My bank only charges $3.

awatterson Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #39 of 44

I got my payment! I sent her an email telling her that I would be turning over the check to collections if I didn't get payment within 24 hours. Woo hoo.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #40 of 44

YAY!!!!

cownsj Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:38pm
post #41 of 44

That is wonderful news. I'm so happy for you. icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:14pm
post #42 of 44

Glad you got your money, but I hate when people do crap like that. An honest mistake is one thing but most people know they are writing you a bad check. Many years ago I did a small birthday cake for a lady I went to church with, she gave me a check for the $15 cake and it took me 6 months to get the money. A caterer hired me for a big wedding, upon delivery he wrote a check then said he was going on vacation to Disney World and I got a $2300.00 bad check. After the check came back from the bank I called him shot the breeze for awhile them said I was going on vacation too, I was going camping on his f****** lawn until I got my money. I eventually got my money. Pay up sucker or I will be happy to bring my kids (16 & 12 boys) to your house and you can feed them is my motto.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm
post #43 of 44
Quote:

I think that people just get caught up in impressing their friends with their kid's birthday parties. It makes me sad that people feel like they have to impress other people and live outside of their means. I can't get to her bank because it is in TX and I am in VA.

awatterson I am in virginia too where are you from I am from Gretna

awatterson Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #44 of 44

Thanks everyone. uniquecreations, I am in Chesapeake Virginia.

cakelady2266, I LOVE the vacation story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%