cloetzu Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of

I have a 10" round cake and large ziplock bag full of scraps left over from an order (made way too much)... looking for ideas of what to do with it all other than cake balls on a stick?

can you make truffels or something with it?

44 replies
CakeDiva101 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #2 of

Besides cake balls, I brake the cake in large chunks into individual martini glasses and layer with some mousse and fruit and icing. It makes a beautiful and delicious dessert. And I always have some leftover cake on the freezer, so, if company comes, I can just pull it out and make those in no time. And they think I spent hours on it!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #3 of

Similar to PP I use mine in my triffles...a can of Devonshire custard, whipped cream, fruit, alcohol (or not) and you're good to go.

CakeDiva101 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Similar to PP I use mine in my triffles...a can of Devonshire custard, whipped cream, fruit, alcohol (or not) and you're good to go.




I didn't think to add some alcohol! Thar would really kick it up a notch for the Holidays! Thanks!

thumbs_up.gif

UpAt2am Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of

yep, a trifle is my go to dessert b/c i always have cake scraps, filling and usually whipped cream. popular combo: chocolate cake, mocha frappuccino filling, whipped cream and caramel sauce drizzled over the top. Or vanilla cake, strawberry fluff filling, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. Crushed up candy bits add texture if you have some lying around icon_smile.gif and the good thing about a trifle is you don't need layered cake...crumbles or chunks work the best!

or i make "cruffles"...which are my version of "cake balls." i don't like the texture of the typical cake ball...way too mushy in my opinion. so i take the cake scraps, add nothing to them, roll them into balls and bake them at 350 for 10ish minutes. once they've cooled, i dip them in hardening chocolate. they taste more like a chocolate covered donut hole than a mushy, raw, mess icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:53am
post #6 of

I made a trifle for a church fellowship for tomorrow with some leftover frozen cake...

Diced chocolate cake...and then made some whipped cream. Halved the whipped cream and folded one half with some leftover ganache, to make mousse...then folded the other half with some leftover caramel sauce. Layered cake, caramel cream, cake, chocolate mousse, cake, then cool whip, with some caramel chocolate candy chunks on top.

Mmmm.

Its great cuz you can use up extra cake fillings in trifles as well...just have cool whip on hand, and then sometimes I use boxed pudding mixes too....and just layer that cake with whatever you have on hand. Good stuff.

indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 5:27am
post #7 of

Mine go right into the trash. After all of these years, we're sick of cake. Plus I just swore years ago that I would never be so "frugal" that I couldn't throw away a couple of slices of bread that weren't fresh enough for me or that I would save "scraps" of food just for the sake of saving it. It's not worth the 25 cents "savings" to me.

cloetzu Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #8 of

UpAt2am - love the idea of cruffles! now that you mention it I too would prefer a drier version .... will try it!!

indydebi - I typically put it all in the garbage too but decided to try something with it this time since i had about 2 10" cakes worth... and I'm sure folks will love either cake balls or something else over the holidays as a little 'extra' item on the table.

wanted to avoid cake balls because they are sooo time consuming and I dont' have a lot of time this week icon_wink.gif

I might end up doing some cake balls afterall, some 'cruffles' as UpAt2am mentioned and a triffle for new years!

leily Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of

i like to do a trifle... but i just layer mine with vanilla or chocolate pudding. Takes me about 10-15 minutes and that's with the pudding setting up. Can add fruit or candies if you want too (i like crushed candy canes on top when i do it) but takes hardly any time which is what i like the best!

cloetzu Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 1:55am

Used some of the cake to make some cake balls yesterday - added some Kahlua and they got too moist so added some cocoa to firm them up - it worked and I made/shaped about 36 cake balls. Dipped about 24 in chocolate today and they looked great but I did find they still tasted a bit too moist for me so I took the 12 that weren't dipped and baked them in a 350 oven for 15 min..... OMG the result was YUMMY! I really liked the drier version! Thanks UpAt2am for the idea!!! I couldn't stop eating them!!!

I also had another idea of what to do with the leftover cake... I think if I took some cake, added some icing (as you would for the basic cake balls) and put/smooshed icon_wink.gif into a ramekin, and pushed a chocolate into the middle and then baked for 15 - 20 min they'd be great!!! will have to try for Christmas dinner! icon_smile.gif

writersblock15 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:26am

Break up the cake into small pieces and add it to ice cream.

mom2twogrlz Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:04am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

Used some of the cake to make some cake balls yesterday - added some Kahlua and they got too moist so added some cocoa to firm them up - it worked and I made/shaped about 36 cake balls. Dipped about 24 in chocolate today and they looked great but I did find they still tasted a bit too moist for me so I took the 12 that weren't dipped and baked them in a 350 oven for 15 min..... OMG the result was YUMMY! I really liked the drier version! Thanks UpAt2am for the idea!!! I couldn't stop eating them!!!

I also had another idea of what to do with the leftover cake... I think if I took some cake, added some icing (as you would for the basic cake balls) and put/smooshed icon_wink.gif into a ramekin, and pushed a chocolate into the middle and then baked for 15 - 20 min they'd be great!!! will have to try for Christmas dinner! icon_smile.gif




Nummy. it sounds like it would be close to a molten cake. NUMMY!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:27am

Julia child has a cake recipe called La Charlotte Africaine which calls for (among other things) 8 oz pound cake, wedding cake, sponge cake or leftover white or yellow cake.

There's also trifles which are good.

Then there's a version of the trifle, you break apart chunks of cake and put it in a dessert bowl. Pour any kind of dessert sauce you like over it. Serve warm or room temp (and it's great with ice cream!!) icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:46am
Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock15

Break up the cake into small pieces and add it to ice cream.


ewwww! I hate cake crumbs in my ice cream. At birthday parties, I even have to have my ice cream in a separate bowl! (yeah, I'm a PITA guest! icon_lol.gif )

MarianInFL Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:50am
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Mine go right into the trash. After all of these years, we're sick of cake. Plus I just swore years ago that I would never be so "frugal" that I couldn't throw away a couple of slices of bread that weren't fresh enough for me or that I would save "scraps" of food just for the sake of saving it. It's not worth the 25 cents "savings" to me.



Oh, Indydebi, if only I had your strength, perhaps I wouldn't be 50 pounds overweight.

idgalpal Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Similar to PP I use mine in my triffles...a can of Devonshire custard, whipped cream, fruit, alcohol (or not) and you're good to go.



I didn't think to add some alcohol! Thar would really kick it up a notch for the Holidays! Thanks!

thumbs_up.gif




That's a brilliant idea! oooooh, and I have some homemade salted carmel sauce I could add to the triffle. I swear it has heroine in it, I almost ate the whole 8 ounce container, well, actually I did eat the whole thing one spoonful at a time. icon_redface.gif I'll just have to get some more!!

lutie Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:36am

I have a recipe that I use with left-over cake. I layer it in a springform pan on the bottom; then I put a layer of chocolate ice cream and hot fudge and chocolate sprinkles; freeze that for a while.
Then, a second layer of cake, vanilla ice cream and Heath Bar Brickle (with or without the chocolate...whatever I have on hand); freeze that for a while.
Third and final layer...another layer of cake parts and coffee ice cream...smother in caramel ice cream topping and more Heath Bar Brickle and freeze that for a while.

Best dessert ever! I top the frozen dessert with fancy whipped cream (or you can use cool whip topping) dollops, using a large decorator tip.

This can be frozen for a couple of weeks and it is still delicious!

Note: if you have lemon cake, use sherbets, curds, and baked meringue between the layers!

frankdiabetes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:37am
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Mine go right into the trash.




I give all my cake scraps to my brother-in-law...he eats about 8000 calories a day (literally!) so he is our human trash disposal.

cloetzu Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:20pm

lutie- that sounds soooooo good!

lutie Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

lutie- that sounds soooooo good!




cloetzu, it truly is scrumptious! It is the best way to get rid of all the cake and bits and pieces of ice cream, etc. I have people who pay me $75.00 for a 10 inch frozen concoction with the three ice creams...they love it! AND the decorating is so very easy icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:32pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

I have a recipe that I use with left-over cake. I layer it in a springform pan on the bottom; then I put a layer of chocolate ice cream and hot fudge and chocolate sprinkles; freeze that for a while.
Then, a second layer of cake, vanilla ice cream and Heath Bar Brickle (with or without the chocolate...whatever I have on hand); freeze that for a while.
Third and final layer...another layer of cake parts and coffee ice cream...smother in caramel ice cream topping and more Heath Bar Brickle and freeze that for a while.

Best dessert ever! I top the frozen dessert with fancy whipped cream (or you can use cool whip topping) dollops, using a large decorator tip.

This can be frozen for a couple of weeks and it is still delicious!

Note: if you have lemon cake, use sherbets, curds, and baked meringue between the layers!




WOW! what a great idea! will definitely give it a try! my boys would love it! thumbs_up.gif
Thanks!

Claire138 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:49pm

Lutie - thanks for a great idea, it sound really good, I have been racking my brains and searching through recipe books and websites for a good new dessert so am very excited about this!

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 9:49pm

That does sound good Lutie! icon_biggrin.gif

neelycharmed Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:14pm

all sounds great!
Thanks for sharing!
Jodi

tmgarcia_98 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:35pm

It's not a recipe....but I often break up chunks of chocolate cake and pour some heavy whipping cream over it, let it sit for a minute or two to soak in and eat! Great 2 minute midnight snack!

JameyAmey Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 2:44am

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but here is a recipe for Russian Slice, which I used to love as a kid.  You can change the ingredients to suit your leftovers.

Russian Slice Recipe

12oz Dry Chocolate Cake (any type)
8oz Dry White Chocolate Cake (any type)
2 oz Butter
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
6-7 heaped tsp Seedless Jam
3 Tbsp Dark Rum

 

*Mod edited to remove mixing instructions 

liz at sugar Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:56am

A french pastry chef I worked with long ago saved all cake scraps, let them dry out, ground them up in a food processor, and just added them to the next cake!  Resulting in a perpetual cake of sorts, when you think about it. :)

 

Liz
 

skinnydesserts Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 4:03am

I use leftover cake in trifles!

I crumble it, put it in a feezer bag and leave it on the counter. Then make a trifle with fruit and yogurt/ whipped cream mixed with mascarpone/ greek yogurt!

kjgm Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 12:47am

yes you can make truffles....add more melted chocolate, some rum or brandy and then roll and then dip in melted chocolate.  We used to do this in a bakery I worked at before...people loved them...but I was more inclined to favor the real thing.....but it reduces your waste!! Good luck!! 

whizzbangpop Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 3:47pm

AIs it possible to use them in place of RKT (and cover with fondant for cake decs)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%