Gooey...sticky...soggy....a Mess!!!

Baking By charliecakes Updated 20 Dec 2010 , 2:58am by VaBelle

charliecakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 7

okay so for whatever reason...whenever i bake a 12 inch or larger bakes up fine but it's just that it has a thin skin or top layer thats kind of soggy and wet.. When the cake cools down I usually have to go and scrap this sticky mess off of the cake before I frost it...does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to solve it? Please help.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 7

I have this issue with vanilla cakes and only on the bottom.I have to scrape the goo before I flip it and ice.I think it has something to do with the syrups in the cake after it bakes because my chocolate cakes don't do this...

kakeladi Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 7

Usually that is an indication that it is not baked enough. Try baking it just another 3-5 minutes. In fact, turn the oven off and leave it in the hot oven for that extra 5 minutes.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 7

No..They are baked enough....I think maybe I am not cooling them long enough...Like condensation...but on a cake....

indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:16am
post #5 of 7

Mine do that all the time. It such a common thing that I never think anything of it and for these many years never thought it was ever a problem. Indicates a high level of moistness to me. (Mine are also baked thoroughly ... not underdone.)

Since I level the cakes anyway, its not big deal to me 'coz it's all getting trimmed off anyway.

Sometimes we just worry too much and overthink things. thumbs_up.gif

charliecakes Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

thanks for responding ladies.. yeah.. maybe i am just worrying too much... just bugs me that it only happens with my larger cakes... most of the time i don't level off.. i just press down on my cakes with a towel while they are still hot.....and they are baked enough... the tooth pick comes out clean and the edges are pulling away from the side of the pan... the cake is baked... it's just strange... hmm....yep... maybe just one of those things[/i]

VaBelle Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 7

I've noticed more stickiness since I started using the WASC recipe. I never had it when I scratch baked or made straight box cakes. I think it's a combination of the extra sugar and sour cream. Not sure what recipe you're using though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%