How Thick?

Decorating By gloria Updated 20 Dec 2010 , 2:27pm by leily

gloria Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 5

anybody know how thick I should roll my fondant? I'm using Satin Ice.

4 replies
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 5

I go a wee bit less than 1/4". And I don't seem to have problems with cracking etc.

JenniferMI Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 5

When it comes to fondant, my belief is the thinner the better. But you have to work with a thickness that you are comfortable with. I use my semi-homemade white chocolate fondant and do it about 1/8" or even a little less.... but the chocolate fondant is stronger than straight from the bucket stuff. I would start at 1/4" and see if you can handle it. Go thinner if you can.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 5:33am
post #4 of 5

I agree with Jen that the thinner the better, but also agree that you need to be comfortable with it. One of the big reasons I stayed away from fondant for so long is that I would see cakes with thick layers of fondant and I thought they looked like Play-Doh; I just refused to put my name on something that looked like a play-doh cake. Once I tried it and found it could be rolled thin and looked nice, then I was hooked!

leily Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 5

I use satin ice and I usually go about 1/8". As others mentioned you need to do what is comfortable for you.

I also put a normal layer of buttercream underneath my fondant, and others swear by only using a crumb coat. It's all what works for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%