Herman/freiendship Cake Batter

Baking By jewels710 Updated 19 Dec 2010 , 8:09pm by diamonds-and-rust

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

My MIL received a "friendship" mix consisting of some raw batter in a baggie and instructions to mix flour, sugar and milk to it every few days , leave it on the cupboard to "ferment", add more, repeat processm etc...after so long you divide it up to give to others and bake a portion of it...I think I ate something like this when I was young when my own mom received one...my question.....

HOW IN THE WORLD IS THIS ANY GOOD?????? EWWWWW.

Milk on the ocunter for days and days then it being from someone who had it on their cupboard for days and day...from someone else who got it from someone else, ect...

This cant be good? Or can it? How? Thanks!

5 replies
Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

My MIL received a "friendship" mix consisting of some raw batter in a baggie and instructions to mix flour, sugar and milk to it every few days , leave it on the cupboard to "ferment", add more, repeat processm etc...after so long you divide it up to give to others and bake a portion of it...I think I ate something like this when I was young when my own mom received one...my question.....

HOW IN THE WORLD IS THIS ANY GOOD?????? EWWWWW.

Milk on the ocunter for days and days then it being from someone who had it on their cupboard for days and day...from someone else who got it from someone else, ect...

This cant be good? Or can it? How? Thanks!

It's been years since I've had "Herman" in my kitchen. Here's a good article:

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/mclean/kitchen/080828.html

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 6

I've done the one with fermented fruit and the Amish cinnamon bready one. It's like a baking chain letter or something. But the products made from them are really really good.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 6

Thanks you guys, my MIL's instructions call for milk to be added...I KNEW this could not be safe. I just knew it so I had to confirm it with my "Cakepeeps" as I am unfamiliar with this specific recipe. That article confirmed it.

Also, sorry for all the typos, I was getting beckoned at for dinner that was waiting and I was in such a hurry to get the msg typed I never reread it or spell checked! LOL I LOVE CC!!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 6

I was totally weirded out by the milk thing too but I tried it and it's awesome!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 6

I remember my mom doing this when I was a kid....but it for sourdough bread. Cant recall the ingredients, but the bread was awesome and no one ever got sick from eating it (except when they ate half the loaf, haha)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%