Cakeman Raven Rvc Recipe Question

Decorating By still_learning Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 10:02pm by still_learning

still_learning Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 5

I want to try making the Cakeman Raven RVC recipe for the first time tonight and I have three silly questions about the ingredients. 1 - it calls for 'fine salt'. Is that just regular table salt or something else? 2 - it calls for cocoa powder. Is that just regular cocoa powder and not dutch processed? 3 - should I use liquid food color rather than gel color (I thought I read that somewhere).

Thanks for your help - I'm excited to try this out!

Ingredients

* Vegetable oil for the pans
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon fine salt
* 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
* 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
* 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
* 2 large eggs, at room temperature
* 2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
* 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 replies
mimido Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 5

Regular table salt will work, thats what I have used, and I use Hersheys cocoa powder . I have always used the liquid food coloring, never the gel so I dont know if it will work or not . Hope this helps you.

Suzie757 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 5

I LOVE this recipe but I do cut the oil to 1 cup and increase the cocoa powder to 1T. (regular Hershey's). I use popcorn salt but you could probably run regular salt in a food processor if you have one.
I also use just liquid color and the cake turns out delicious!

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 5

Really only 1T of cocoa powder? I thought RVC had more of a chocolate flavor, just red??

still_learning Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your quick replies! I will have to scour the pantry for popcorn salt and if I can't find it... oh well icon_smile.gif ConfectionsCC - that is so funny that you said 'just red'. My DH is from TX and he loves Big Red soda and RVC and when someone asks him what they are supposed to taste like he says 'Red". Sadly, I think he's sort of serious as if "red" is a flavor icon_lol.gif But, yes, as I hear it RVC is more of a buttermilk cake with a very, very light chocolate flavor. Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%