Bubbles In Butter Cream After It's On The Cake....

Decorating By tlreetz Updated 19 Dec 2010 , 10:05am by FleurDeCake

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone, I have been designing cakes for 16 years and have never had this problem. I ice my cakes with butter cream, smooth them and then they start to form bubbles from the inside out...imagine a large wart or goiter coming out of the side of your cake! icon_redface.gif What on Earth could be causing this?? Like I said, I have never had this happen in all my years! I am using the same ingredients I have always used. I have read that Crisco has changed it's formula....could this be the culprit?? Anyone else experienced this horrible, and very frustrating, anomolie?

6 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 7

I eagerly await advice on this as well. I have had this SAME problem on several of my latest cakes. I thought it was because the cakes were still too cold from the refrigerator when I iced them. I usually don't refrigerate my cakes but started doing it to help when I applied fondant. I have very large bubbles form between the cake and buttercream that seem to grow larger and larger. The worse problem is that even if you "pop" them, the buttercream doesn't seem to want to stick back to the cake. It is definitely a mess and a big problem. Can't wait to hear some opinions on this!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:03am
post #3 of 7

I experienced the same myself on my friends wedding cake. I had to drive about an hour and a half with it and once we got there two layers had bubbles! Fortunatley her cake was white BC with sugar crystals, no one I "poped" it no one ever knew. Courios if anyone knows the cause as well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:30am
post #4 of 7

I have been using crisco for 16 yrs. when i make american b/c , along with butter also. I have never experienced this. I do believe if you ice your cakes when they are cold , you will experience this. but again, just guessing, since i have never had this problem. hope you find out why.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:31am
post #5 of 7

its true crisco did change their formula-now its without transfat.
so i started using walmart brand which has transfat.
i found that using transfat was giving me more air bubbles.
i still get them with using crisco. so i too am awaiting the cake gods to answer this

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 9:20am
post #6 of 7

i believe it can also happen when the icing isnt really stuck onto the cake? like the connection is weak, so it doesnt hold up as well.
xx

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 10:05am
post #7 of 7

Try letting the cake air out for a while after filling and stacking the layers but before icing with your buttercream. What I learned from Sharon of Sugar Shack is that condensation builds up and escapes, then if the buttercream is on the cake it causes a bubble between the icing and the cake . I don't ever refrigerate my cakes as I feel this causes more condensation issues . But if you do refrigerate your cakes try letting them set out for about 20 minutes or so till they no longer feel damp and sticky. Then fill and stack the layers ,put them in a food safe bag and let sit for a few hours or overnight then ice with buttercream . Since I have been using this method I never have "blowouts" . I follow Sahron's Buttercream recipe and method and have had nothing but success .HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%