Is Yoghurt A Successful Substitute For Sour Cream?

Baking By cakeastic Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 1:15pm by cakeastic

cakeastic Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:41am
post #1 of 7

Sour cream is not always available here, i find it when i dont need it and i dont find it when i do need it icon_mad.gif Yoghurt is always available and ive heard you can use it instead of sour cream, but does it really work in cakes? Thanks alot! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Coral3 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:45am
post #2 of 7

It would probably depend on your recipe. I have substituted at times and honestly couldn't tell the difference. (I also use a 50:50 mix of natural yoghurt and milk - both full fat - as a substitute for buttermilk and that works brilliantly. I never buy buttermilk anymore.)

redpanda Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:46am
post #3 of 7

I've used it many times in doctored cake mixes, and it works just fine. I usually use just plain, rather than flavored, but have occasionally used a vanilla or fruit flavored one.

SugarFiend Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:24am
post #4 of 7

I used yogurt in place of sour cream in a cutout cookie recipe this week. The one observation I have is that it seemed to have added more moisture than the sour cream normally does. I didn't drain the yogurt at all due to time constraints, however.

But the cookies turned out fine. The flavor had a very subtle difference, but it worked. It might be helpful to note that the sour cream is apparently quite exposed in my recipe; my son picked the flavor out at the age of 4, knowing nothing of my recipe.

iwantcookies Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

(I also use a 50:50 mix of natural yoghurt and milk - both full fat - as a substitute for buttermilk and that works brilliantly. I never buy buttermilk anymore.)

thanks for the brilliant tip! i never usually have buttermilk when i need it but ALWAYS have yoghurt!

cylstrial Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 7

I always use yogurt to sub. Putting sour cream in a cake disgusts me. I won't do it.

cakeastic Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 7

Ive heard you could drain yoghurt to get the consistency of sour cream. Has anyone ever tried it? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%