Another Satin Ice Vent...

Decorating By sarabakescakes Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 3:34am by sarabakescakes

sarabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarabakescakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 7

I just opened my 5th or 6th 20lb tub of Satin Ice tonight and it's hard as a rock! And the bag it's in is a super thin clear one, not thick blue plastic like the previous tubs I've had.

What's going on? I don't even know how to get it out w/o tearing the bag, leaving it completely useless. It's too late to call them tonight, but I'm really disappointed, especially since I bought two 20 lb tubs this time around, and they both are rock hard with the crappy clear plastic bag.

Just need to vent. Now I have to figure out how to make this work! icon_mad.gif

6 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 7

I'm so sorry to hear that. The only thing I can imagine to try would be to nuke it, but in such a large mass you'd have to be especially careful to pull off the outside pieces as soon as they soften enough to do so. Good luck.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:13am
post #3 of 7

a tub of red I recently purchased was super soft & pliable, ok for covering cakes but super difficult to make accent pieces with.
a tub of black I recently purchased was in the clear bag and also very hard, I was worried when I took it out, but after some kneading it was ok to work with.
good luck!

heatherscakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherscakes4u Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:14am
post #4 of 7

I know How you feel! I had a problem with a 20lb bucket of satin ice, but it was the opposite- way too soft!! If you knead in some crisco that might help soften it. Iv'e done that before. good luck.

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 7

My recent Satin Ice purchase is rock solid- I have to chop it out with a cleaver! It also tastes pretty crappy if you ask me- it's my first time buying it- I usually make my own mmf. The only other kind I've bought was Fondarific and it is much better in my opinion, but much pricier. I guess you get what you pay for!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:33am
post #6 of 7

I just bought a couple of tubs also. Thick blue bag, usual texture.

sarabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarabakescakes Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:34am
post #7 of 7

very belated update to this, but I emailed the company about two lousy batches of fondant and they replaced them in a matter of days. The new batches are just as I remembered they should be, so all is well. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%