Sunbeam Mixmaster 450-Watt

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm by cutthecake

cutthecake Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 8

I'm looking for a new mixer. I'm going back to my old favorite, even though they don't make 'em like they used to. I have a KA 6-quart, but it's too big for daily use. I have a hand mixer that's not powerful enough for bigger jobs. (I sound like Goldilocks.) has something called the Jarden Heritage by Sunbeam:

Does anyone have this mixer? Can anyone rate it for me, please?

7 replies
zespri Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #2 of 8

not sure if this is the same model, it looks like it...? I was interested after seeing that planet cake used it in their book:

kaseynh Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 8

My first mixer was a sunbeam mix-master and it died after just a couple of months. I replaced it with my 6qt KA and haven't looked back. I still have a hand mixer that I pull out once in awhile for smaller jobs and at some point I will upgrade that to a KA hand mixer.
So I would advise staying away from the sunbeam. HTH

moxey2000 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 8

My first stand mixer was a Sunbeam Mixmaster and it was a workhorse! We only paid $70 for it at Walmart and I used it hard for over 10 years. I was sad when it died and I actually replaced it with a 6qt KA, but for the money the Sunbeam was definitely worth it. If you buy the Sunbeam, go to and buy an extended warranty. If you sign up on the site they send you email coupons. I buy warranties for all of my electronic purchases and they are way more reasonable than the store warranties. Plus I've had 3 claims so far and all of them have been settled exactly as they say they will, no hassle whatsoever.

mmdiez10 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

I've heard about alot of disappointment with this mixer. Try a Cuisinart or even a Black and Decker handheld. I had a B&D handheld for over 10 years and it worked great for my smaller projects. I have my 6 quart KA that is my workhorse for my bigger jobs.

cakecraft Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 8

I've used my Sunbeam for 12 years now, still going strong (it's a mixmaster, not sure the model #) . It gets a LOT of use, but I use it primarily for batters and frostings, not heavier things like doughs or fondant. I like that mine has 2 bowls, one smaller. Perfect for fillings. I don't like that it doesn't have the planetary action of the KA. I guess it depends on what you'll be using it for. I'm ready for a bigger bowl capacity now, so i am looking for a new mixer too...although I will still use my sunbeam.

cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:49am
post #7 of 8

I went through two of these mixers in the past six months while I was saving for a KA. Finally was able to swing a KA on Black Friday and it seriously is like night and day. If you are on a tight budget then the Sunbeam Heritage is better than a hand mixer. Just don't be surprised when it dies on you after a couple of months of heavy use and you have to replace it.

cutthecake Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 8

I received a two-bowl Mixmaster for Christmas, and I am a happy camper. I shunned my 6 quart KA and used a $15 hand mixer for all my Christmas cookie baking because the KA is a monstrosity and so awkward for me to use. I hate the shape of the bowl and the beater blade, as they are so difficult to scrape.

I just used my new Mixmaster for the first time, and the sweet memories flowed!

I am somewhat concerned because Sunbeam didn't demonstrate very good customer service when I contacted them about repairs. My first Mixmaster was a workhorse for about 20 years (I have forgotten how long it really lasted), but subsequent mixers were much less reliable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%