Home Bakery Requirement Help

Business By TX_girl Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm by TX_girl

TX_girl Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I've been googleing this but can't find anything.

Here's the deal. Hubby and I are preparing to move to TN. From what I understand, the laws on whether you can have a home bakery are different from county to county but that's really neither here nor there.

What I need to find out is what the requirements/regulations are on having an in-home bakery. Hopefully it's on a website somewhere and I'm just missing it.

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 9

That is correct it varies by county and it is indeed the determining factor whether you can have one or not. What county are you moving to?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 9

Plus the type of bakery you want to have is also necessary to know in order to figure out the requirements. You want retail with walk-in customers, you want to do decorated cakes by order, do wholesale or bake for farmer's market. Those are the categories I am familiar with. There's probably more.

jason_kraft Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 9

Which city and county are you moving to? You'll also need to make sure you are cleared with the city zoning-wise.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 9

Yes it's not one stop shopping to get this figured out.

kelleym Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 9

Well, here are the actual rules, hope this helps somewhat.

TX_girl Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much!

We're currently planning to move to Hickman County. (It's about an hour west-ish from Nashville)
We'll be on a farm - not in the city limits so not sure how that's going to affect things.
I Hope to decorate cakes to order and also probably some stuff for the farmers market, though I'm not sure what the rules there are yet.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 9

Hopefully you'll be good to go! Farmer's Market should be right up your alley there. And out in the boonies away from the bigger cities it's much more of a relaxed atmosphere for decorated cake. I know folks in other neighboring counties who have green lights in the home for all that you wanna do.

You have to attend a sanitation class. And do whatever your local authorities advise you. Contact Hickman County Health Department and to be safe, contact the county zoning folks--but since you're on a farm I bet you're gonna be fine!!!!

Cake Blessings on yah!!!

TX_girl Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks. That's very encouraging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%