Making Midnight Blue With No Airbursh!! Is It Possible??

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm by UltimateBaker

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 6

Ok. I bought the americolors airbrush colors because i heard they were more vibrant than the Wilton Gel colors. However, I am trying to make a midnight blue color for a starwars cake I am working on. The royal blue is super baby blue. I don't really have the time or the $ to invest in an airbursh machine. (unless there is a cheap one somewhere) I am worried if I put to much color in it then it will alter the taste. Help! This is due on Sunday. icon_cry.gif

5 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 6

Is this buttercream? If so it takes a ton of coloring to get dark colors. Also you are going to have some seriously blue teeth for the party goers. I read on here, but haven't tried it. That you can ice your cake in white buttercream, normal thick layer, then freeze until it sets up and do a super thin layer of your darker color . The other thing with dark colors is that the frosting will darken as it sets so try and color the frosting the night before so it has time to deepen. Good luck.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6

Sillywabbitz is right on the money. You can get the color with wilton black and royal blue combined. It does dry darker as it sets. I've done this color.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 6

Did you mean just americolor colors or their airbrush version?

The Americolor Airbrush colors are very liquidy. While I'm sure in small amounts they could be used to color buttercream they would really thin down the icing using a large amount.

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 6

Yes I meant using it with fondant. I have already started with the americolor airbrush royal blue but i will start to use the gel colors and see how it goes.

UltimateBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateBaker Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 6

I think you may be able to paint it on the fondant with a brush. It may take more than one coat. americolor airbrush will not mix with the fondant it goes on top. I've alway wanted to try painting with it. I like to know if it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%