How To Train Your Dragon Cake??

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm by Ashley0415

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake with this theme today.. Im just so unsure of how to decorate! Its pretty open to however I want. Mom is my best friend and its for my 6yr old nephew. Im having a really hard time finding action figures with the party tomorrow. The only things I could come up with are doing a 2 tiered cake with the top tier looking like the viking style helmet that the boy in the movie wears.. or I was actually thinking of making the cake shaped like a dragon.. but Im not sure how much carving is involved in that because i dont have much experience carving.

Any tips would be SO appreciated!

I did glance at some of the saved pics on here and nothing really stood out. I also do have an edible image printer if anyone has any ideas involving that.

thank again!

7 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

Things that stood out to me from that movie were the fish pond, cause thats that the dragons ate, the book that identified the different types of dragons and the training center.

I think the book with the viking helmet would be a good combination.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

I think the book with the viking helmet would be a good combination.

I agree with myslady. I'd do the book with images printed from your printer to look like the pages from the book in the movie. As for a 3D Viking helmet, maybe a dome shaped cake (carved or specialty pan) and for the horns you can use gumpaste. Mold the gumpaste in a similar fashion as you would a shoe (I've seen tutorials on youtube) just in the shape of the horns.

Good luck, and please post pictures when you're done!!

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

the main dragon seems to not be too hard to "mimic". It looks like his face and wings are his main stand out features. so if you could the helmet in fondant and shape him out of fondant too, you'd be set. But. then easier said than done, right? icon_biggrin.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 8

What if it was toothless (just his head really) wearing the helmet? You coud just replicate his facial features and carve it a little biit to shape?

Ashley0415 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 8

wow.. those cakes are AMAZING. I think Im going to go with the book/viking helmet idea. icon_smile.gif I just ran to WalMart and was able to find some action figures to put around the cake.

I'll post pics for sure. Thank you so much guys! thumbs_up.gif

Ashley0415 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 8

I dont really have a lot of experience carving.. so I wasnt sure how to even go about that if I wanted to make toothless icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%