Suggestions For Fillings With Creme De Menthe Cake?

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 10:46pm by sherry_lyn

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 13

Hello! I have a tasting with a bride this weekend who has requested creme de menthe cake. I have buttercream and dark chocolate ganache for her to try as fillings, but I would like to offer at least one or two more fillings for her to sample. I'm at a loss as to other filling flavors that might taste good with dark chocolate mint cake. Any ideas? TIA and have a great weekend!

12 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 13

Wow that's a toughie.......Buttercream and Chocolate would have been my first two choices as well; but how about Cream Cheese Buttercream or a subtle crushed peppermint candy filling. I'm thinking that might be a little overpowering, but if you keep in light it might be okay. HTH

Kat

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 13

How about a buttercream with Andes candy pieces in it.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 13

I have done a creme de menthe cake. I did use a white cake though, they wanted the green color in the cake.

I did a whipped chocolate ganache, but added about 1-2 T of the creme de menthe into the ganache when I whipped it. Tasted really good!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 13

How does Mocha sound? I like coffee, peppermint and chocolate together. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 13

I make a mojito cake and the cake is a white creme de menthe cake and then a lime curd with fresh mint filling, and a melon butter cream. I call it Minty Melon Mojito cake.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 13

It might seem like too much alcohol, but something based on Bailey's Irish Cream would be good.

candicemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemarie Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:59am
post #8 of 13

maybe an oreo cookie buttercream, make like a grass hopper cookie tase all together?

ThePurpleButterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePurpleButterfly Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:36am
post #9 of 13

I've been making chocolate/mint cakes here lately and I can tell you this.... putting the mint in the cake and then in the icing... way too much. I found just having the cake double chocolate (chocolate cake with folded in milk chocolate chips) without any mint in it and then make a whipped milk chocolate ganache with 1/3 cup melted Andes mint chips in it was MUCH more subtle. It was pretty intense as it was. I can't imagine a whole cake tasting like that.... bleh.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:46am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennzoe333

I make a mojito cake and the cake is a white creme de menthe cake and then a lime curd with fresh mint filling, and a melon butter cream. I call it Minty Melon Mojito cake.

Wow that sounds so yummy would you be willing to share your recipe. I would love to try that for my family Christmas cake

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

How does Mocha sound? I like coffee, peppermint and chocolate together. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

This is what I was going to suggest. icon_wink.gif

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 13

I second the ganache suggestion. I've done, it's fabulous!

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 13

I didn't read the replies, so forgive me if this is a repeat. I add LorAnn creme de menthe flavoring to my buttercream (& a tiny bit of green color). Everyone LOVES it... my son, SIL & nephew all requested it on chocolate cupcakes for their birthdays this year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%