How Do You Re-Ice A Cake

Decorating By weeny Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 3:57am by tryingcake

weeny Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked by a friend if I would re-ice the bottom tier of her wedding cake to be used as a christening cake. Is this easy to do? I have iced cakes before but never been asked to re-ice a previously iced cake. Any suggestions? icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Bouse Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 5

I am assuming it is a fruit cake. Take all the icing and marzipan off. If the cake has been properly wrapped then it won't have dried out. If it feels a little dry then stab it a couple of times and inject some brandy or whisky into it. Leave it for a couple of days and cover it like you would a fresh cake with marzipan and icing and apricot jam for the "glue". My sister did mine. There was only two years between the wedding and the christening though and my cake was well wrapped up so it stayed beautiful.

leily Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 5

has the cake been frozen? What kind of icing is on it? what kind are you putting on it?

weeny Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies. PHEW I managed to do it and could'nt believe how well it went. After I took off all the fondant icing and marzipan the cake underneath was still moist. I have uploade the finished result on CC. icon_biggrin.gif

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:57am
post #5 of 5

I had to do this once with a cake that I refused to deliver because she didn't pay the final payment on time (this was before I changed my policy to 30 before the delivery date). Anyway, I showed up - no one was there to pay, I waited for about an hour (called - got a "we'll be there in 2 hours" response - nope, can't do it - have other cakes to deliver) - took the cake with me. yes, really! I don't play.

I used a few days later for another cake order. I scraped everything off and re-iced. Absolutely no biggie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%