Can I Sub Canola Oil For Vegetable Oil In My Cake?

Baking By drakegore Updated 25 Jan 2017 , 6:52pm by vlasko

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 17

I would think I could, but the science of baking is still something I am learning. They both have the same fat content, but veg oil has a bit more saturated fat. Does anyone know if using canola will affect performance of batter or taste of cake?

Here's hoping this is not yet the dumbest question I have asked, lol.

Diane

16 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 17

Yes, that is the only kind I use.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 17

There's never a dumb question. You're right... baking involves science to understand how ingredients perform takes some chemistry and physics. Canola IS a vegetable oil, the only difference is that the one labeled "Vegetable Oil" is a mix of oils from several sources

icon_smile.gif Go ahead, use it with confidence, it won't affect taste or results of a cake

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you so much!!!!!
Diane

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 17

my DH baked a cake last year for me to make cake balls out of. he used olive oil. I DO NOT recommend a repeat performance. It was entirely too oily.

I use canola and occasionally safflower oil in cakes and those turn out fine.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 17

Only kind I use too.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_a_cake

There's never a dumb question. You're right... baking involves science to understand how ingredients perform takes some chemistry and physics. Canola IS a vegetable oil, the only difference is that the one labeled "Vegetable Oil" is a mix of oils from several sources

icon_smile.gif Go ahead, use it with confidence, it won't affect taste or results of a cake

This is great to know! Now I have a question--I did a cake recipe that called for Canolla Oil. In the recipe "Canolla" was in bold text, like the cake would be ruined if I didn't use it. If canola can be used for vegetable, I would think that it would work the other way, too. Is this right? TIA

LindaF144a Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 17

Maybe it was because it used to be a cake recipe for a Canola oil company? The originator used Canola and wanted to emphasize it?

I agree, you can substitute any vegetable oil except for olive oil. Maybe, maybe if you used a light olive oil you could get away with it. But it has such a distinctive taste. And peanut oil is another one I would not substitute, but then again it is not a vegetable. icon_wink.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 17

All oils are 100 percent fat, and all oils contain 14 grams of fat and 120 calories per tablespoon.

Some oils contain more monounsaturated fat ( olive-77%,canola-62, peanut-49, butter-30, corn-25, safflower-13, coconut-6.5) than others. Some studies claim this to be beneficial for heart health.

Whatever the source of your oil, always smell and taste itl before deciding whether to use or not. Oils are volatile and can lose their flavors and go rancid when exposed too long to heat, moisture, air or light. Rancid fat not only spoils the taste of baked goods, but it is unhealthy to ingest. Store oils in opaque containers in a cool, dark place. You can also refrigerate if you wish, but keep in mind that oil may become cloudy when cold, although will clarify as it warms to room temperature.

For very light tasting cakes, use exclusively odorless-tasteless oils or mixes that won't alter the taste.

For mildly flavored, you can use any vegetable oil even cold pressed olive oil that is graded extra-light.

Delicately flavored oils can be used with stronger flavored cakes, such as spice, chocolate or pumpkin.

Cold pressed extra-virgin oil, with its more robust olive taste and aroma, is NOT recommended for cakes.

BTW, my mom was a bio-chemist... and provided lots of facts to my daily life icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 17

Wow, TMI. I thought I researched to overkill. But I guess what is common sense to one is not to another.

There is an olive oil cake recipe out there. I have seen it in several sources, calling me to make it. Someday I will. It is not top on my list due to the fact that olive oil will impart such a strong flavor.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:09am
post #11 of 17

My daughter has a college roommate who's mother bakes exclusively with olive oil because it's a "good fat."

No one will eat her baked goods.

Anything but a strong flavored oil, please.

Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:21am
post #12 of 17

Canola is all I ever use too!!

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:32am
post #13 of 17

Wow I am so glad I seen this topic. Perhaps it was something else I did, but I have a pumpkin bread recipe I bake all the time ( tastes just like a moist slice of cake) but for the first time, I tried using canola oil instead of plain vegetable, and it did not turn out the same at all! Hmm, if it wasn't the oil then, I will give it another go with canola as I am baking this bread tomorrow and see if I get the same results

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:37am
post #14 of 17

I use Canola exclusively for baking and I love it!!

lauratill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauratill Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 17

The difference between canola oil and vegetable oil mainly how the two oils are made. Canola oil is made from the cultivation of the rapeseed. The rapeseed is cultivated to be low in erucic acid (canola oil must contain 2% or lower erucic acid). Now comes the confusing part.

Vegetable oil is made from one or more vegetable plants. In North America, most vegetable oil is made from soybean oil or palm oil, but it could be any combination of those or other oils like cottonseed and sunflower seed. You may be asking yourself what the difference is as everything is a plant.

Canola Oil Nutrition (serving size 1 cup) Calories 1927 Total Fat 218 g 335% Saturated Fat 16 g 80%

Vegetable Oil Nutrition (serving size 1 cup) Calories 1664 Total Fat 218 g 335% Saturated Fat 33 g 164%

Source

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 3:17pm
post #16 of 17

i use olive oil -- 

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 17

The notable difference between canola and vegetable oil is the ratio of monounsaturated to polyunsaturated fats.  Like olive oil and some types of nuts and fish, canola oil has a higher percentage of monounsaturated fat, which may make it a healthier oil and less prone to oxidation. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%