Which Tip Should I Use?

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm by LindaF144a

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:38am
post #1 of 8

I've found this recipe I'd like to try for Christmas, but I can't find the decorating tip they used. I looked on the Wilton site and only saw an 8B, was that it? How do you think it would look if I used a 1M or 4B? I would order it online but don't think that it'd be here in time for X-mas. Here's the recipe and pic TIA icon_biggrin.gif http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/peppermint-meringue-kisses.aspx

7 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:25am
post #2 of 8

did you see the video demo? there's a good close-up of the tip she uses ... not sure what would be the Wilton equivalent though!

http://www.finecooking.com/item/24664/video-four-ingredient-holiday-cookies-with-abby-dodge

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:53am
post #3 of 8

Wilton makes a large star tip which is a #8B open star. That could be the one that she is using.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:07am
post #4 of 8

The instructions state large #8 star tip. Good luck! They look yummy.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:28am
post #5 of 8

I didn't see the video, I actually found the recipe in the magazine at Wal*mart and pulled it up on their website to ask you. I'll have to check it out, thanks metria!

I saw #8 was what they said to use in the recipe, but when I tried to find it on the Wilton site I wasn't sure if 8B and #8 were the same thing. Do you think a 1M might work? There's not a cake decorating store here that carries it and I doubt it'll be here in time if I order it online and have it shipped. I'm going to Gatlinburg, TN this weekend, I may just have to scour the shops up there.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

It looks like in the video it is Wilton tip 1M. It is the large one I use to ice my cupcakes. If you hold it straight up and down like in the video just slightly above the surface, you will get what she does. Then squeeze till you get the diameter you want, stop squeezing and pull up for the peak at the top.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 8

honestly I think you could use what ever size star tip that you want. The size of the star depends on the size of the meringue puff.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 8

And the bigger the tip, the bigger the meringue puff. If you do use a smaller tip than shown in the video, remember to adjust your baking time.

Do you have a Michaels, ACMoore, JoAnn Fabrics or Hobby Lobby near you? They all pretty much sell the same tip, it is just a matter of if they have it in stock.

In my area there is a local cook store that carries some tips also. You may have an independent store near you that sells other cooking items. You could call them and ask. Also Atteco sells a small box of cake decorating kit that is carried in my local grocer.

You could also cut the corner of a large freezer bag and pipe them out that way. If you flick your wrist a little and experiment you can get a swirl like effect. You won't get the lines that are created in a star tip, but it could work in a pinch. Or you could still go straight up and down like the video using a plastic bag and make what would like a larger Hershey kiss.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%