Cake Pans And Letter Cutters

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 9:57pm by All4Show

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:19am
post #1 of 7

I am looking to upgrade to some better baking pans, as well as just get some sizes I don't already have! Looking between the Fat diddios and Magic line...which are better for giving nice sharp corners on square and a sharp top edge on the round? Also, just bought the wilton letter cutters from hobby lobby, either I used them wrong, or they are just down right horrible! I could not get them to not stick to the cutters, then when trying to remove them, they got all warped and unusable! Please give me some tips on using them, or a better brand to try! They are also a bit smaller than what I was needing them for...but I guess some cakes may require a smaller alphabet!

6 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 7

I had the same problem with them. Especially the B and the D!! Horrible!

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 7

I highly recommend Magic Line pans! And for letters I got FFM brand tappits from global sugar art and after figuring out how to use them properly, I love them! If you get them gotta let the fondant sit out for an hour or so to firm up before you use them and I get perfect letters everytime. I also have some cutters that came in a metal round tray called alphabet soup on Ebay that work good.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:44am
post #4 of 7

With the Wilton cutters it's best to roll the fondant very thin. My favorite letter cutters are Windsor Clickstix. So much easier and faster than tappits or Wilton.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 7

I did roll the fondant very thin, and then placed it in the freezer to firm up! I do that with any type of cut out, makes the fondant easier to work with! But those little cutters just were not working for me....

loux2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loux2 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 7

apparently if you brush them with a little oil it stops the fondant sticking in them. i always use a little cornflower which always works

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

I did roll the fondant very thin, and then placed it in the freezer to firm up! I do that with any type of cut out, makes the fondant easier to work with! But those little cutters just were not working for me....

I hate the "B" the worst in the wilton set. I just love those click stix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%