Questions About Fallen Cake.

Baking By VickeyC Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 9:07pm by VickeyC

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so I have a pretty busy weekend coming up and was baking cakes this afternoon when my youngest daughter decided to get mad a do a lil stomp. icon_mad.gif Well needless to say, one of my cakes fell. Normally, when something goes wrong, (like breakage or crumbling) I would just crumble it for cake balls and bake another, but I am out of sour cream and choc. cake mix. I really don't want to go to the store, because it is nasty out. Is there any way to salvage this cake.
When a cake falls, what exactly does this mean (other than the obvious dip in the center of the cake)? Does it mess with the texture? I normally don't bake when the kids are anywhere near, but due to the weather, they have been out of school all week and there was no way around it this time.
TIA icon_smile.gif

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 8

I've had some cakes come out a little concave and they were ok to use. If your other cakes domed, can you use some of the 'trim-job' to use as a layer/fill-in on this cake?

VickeyC Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 8

Well the other chocolate cake that I had in the other oven fell also. No kids around it (now I feel awful for blaming the first one on my daughter). But I just realized that instead of grabbing the all purpose flour, I used self rising. Would that make a difference and cause it to fall? I guess a trip to the store is in order after all.
I would still like to know what effect this causes to the cake if anyone would be kind enough to explain. icon_confused.gif
Thanks

VickeyC Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 8

Thanks Deb for the reply. I think that will work on the sheet cake, but the 14" round is like majorly sunken. Could the mix up in flour cause this to happen?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:51am
post #5 of 8

oh wow a 14 incher, huh? I'm not a major scratch baker, so I'll have to leave the flour question to other CC experts on that one.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:30am
post #6 of 8

If you use self-rising flour instead of all-purpose in a recipe, you are giving it a double dose of leavening agents.

The recipe would have had baking powder/soda included, and the self-rising flour has leaveners in the mix .. "Saving it" is not an option - excessive leavener leaves a "taste" ..

Cakes falling has all to do with structure ..

http://www.docakes.com/FAQ.html

When the recipe is in correct proportion, the fats and sugar capture enough air, the leaveners produce enough gas, the gluten retains elasticity, the liquid supplies steam and moisture, the starch gelatinizes in a timely manner, and it all comes together to produce a cake with an even grain, a soft smooth texture and a good volume.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:39am
post #7 of 8

I agree with everything auzzi said.

My guess is the double leavener is the reason. And you should do a taste test.

BTW, I remember being told to not run or stomp when cake was in the oven as a little girl. Lately though that has been proven to be not true now or probably then too.

VickeyC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks auzzi and Linda for your replies. I tried using just straight choc cake mix, even a different brand, and it fell also. Not really sure whats going on, but hopefully this will all end soon. Maybe it's the weather or something. Just really not sure at this point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%