Can I Pipe Royal Icing Onto Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 3:28am by Debi2

Debi2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 7

Is the chocolate too oily? I was wondering if it would break down the royal icing? I did add some piping gel to the royal too.

6 replies
CWR41 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

You need to have grease-free utensils while you're making royal icing, but it doesn't have to be a grease-free surface that you pipe it directly onto. (moisture causes RI to breakdown, not oil/grease.)

Debi2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, great! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:03am
post #4 of 7

If the surface of your modeling chocolate appears oily, I'd let the item sit for awhile until the sheen disappears and I'd pipe the royal on it as late as possible in the process.

The oil is a form of moisture and it will break down the royal piping from the back, particularly if the atomosphere is very warm and/or humid.

If the item is going to be packaged, I suggest keeping it out of direct sunlight/heat and allowing some air to circulate in the packaging.

HTH
Rae

Debi2 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:12am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Rae....that does help alot! thumbs_up.gif

Do you think the same rules apply to the flexible royal made with the Wilton gumpaste mix (powder)? I was thinking of trying that.

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:22am
post #6 of 7

I hadn't heard about anyone having any luck with making the Wilton mix truly flexible, but I'd take the same precautions.

Sugar is hygroscopic, so it'll absorb any water/moisture that it can.

JMHO
Rae

Debi2 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:28am
post #7 of 7

Good to know, thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%