These Ornament Cupcakes Are Kicking My Rear!!

Baking By NikiH Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 8:16am by MelissaMay

NikiH Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 12

I bought the mini ball pan for the tops (had to order online since none of my stores had it), then realized I needed the jumbo cupcake pan so the size would match up, so I got that.

Thought I had purchased the jumbo liners, but nope. So got the right ones.

Baked the mini ball pan tops - no problem. Baked the cupcakes - no problem. Cut some of the cupcake top off put buttercream frosting on lightly, placed the dome on. Crumb coated the dome with buttercream. Apparently I need more practice with smoothing frosting, because it just wasn't smooth.

I made wiltons poured fondant recipe, which was more like a glaze, than what I would call fondant, because it just ran down the sides of the liners. Then I melted pre-made fondant, and although that worked better, it still ran slightly, and never came out like a smooth ball because of the frosting not being smooth.

I read last night about putting rolled fondant in a glass bowl the correct size and filling it with mini ball ingredients (frosting and crumb mixture) but I would like to hear some successful stories on how people did it please.

HELP!!! I'm so frustrated. I want to make these for tomorrow for my son's teachers and they are just kicking my butt!!

Thanks in advance.

11 replies
tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 12

I just roll out fondant to cover the tops. Smooth it over the top and cut off excess around the bottom. Never heard of anyone using poured fondant for these.

NikiH Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks. But do you just put the domes on with buttercream, or do you use the ingriedient method with the frosting and cake crumbs?

tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 12

I use the mini ball pan and attach the domes with BC. Cover the dome with BC the cover with rolled fondant and smooth.

NikiH Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you SOOOO much. I just did them with the rolled fondant and they look much better, and I didn't even have to scrap the ones I already made. You rock.

Poured fondant...HA that's what I get for watching a youtube

alvarezmom Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 12

I havent made the ornaments but I have melted fondant before and then just dipped the cupcake upside down into the fondant and it comes out smooth. Kind of like dipping cake balls. I chilled the cupcakes in the freezer (crumb coated already) then dipped.

Hope that helps. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 12

Glad it worked for you.

likes_2_create Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #8 of 12

How do you get them so round like an ornament?

FullHouse Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 12

I do mine the same way Tiggy does. I also don't use the jumbo cupcakes for the bottom, standard cupcakes work just fine.

@ likes2create: The tops are made with the Wilton mini ball pan. Bake cakes, attach to top of standard cupcake with buttercream.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 12

i used the standard as well, but i just made some jumbo for an order so gonna try that. i have never tried to use poured fondant, used reg mmf for the last ones. nope they arent smooth as i wanted them to be, but thats because i cant get my buttercream crumb coat smooth. i know if i could get that smooth my fondant would be smoother. good luck!

FullHouse Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 12

If your buttercream is the crusting kind, try using Viva paper towels. Works great, especially when trying to smooth icing on a round surface.

MelissaMay Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:16am
post #12 of 12

I realize that this reply is probably way late but I have made them using both methods. I used an empty ornament (from Michaels) laid the rolled fondant inside and filled with cake ball filling. Then attached to regular sized cupcake with BC. I used this method first because I could not find the mini ball pan in stock either.

The way that I found easiest was to use mini ball pan and attach to regular size cupcakes with BC, crumb coat with BC and cover with rolled fondant. Then decorate. It was my first attempt and they came out ok. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%