Cake Pops?

Baking By Iheartcake Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 3:05pm by Kiddiekakes

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone!

I've been out of the cake world the past few years because I went back to school... only been doing the occasional cake during summer breaks icon_smile.gif I had a request the other day for cake pops.. I'd never heard of these so I googled, but I was wondering what CC-ers thought of these, how you do them, any tricks you've found. Any info on them would be so appreciated icon_smile.gif I did a quick search but couldn't find a link with the info I'm looking for. Lots mentioning them! But nothing specifically on them. So if someone does have an older link with all kinds of info, I'd take that too!!

Thank you all icon_smile.gif

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 9

The best advice I can give you is to go to www.bakerella.com and read her posts, then buy her book. It's everything you need to know about cake pops.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 9

Bake a cake (box mix is perfect for this,) and cool. Crumble it into a bowl, mix in one container of icing (again, store bought is perfect.) scoop out desired size (bite size is best) and roll into a ball. Now you can either put lollipop sticks into them, thus making Cake Pops, or leave them as is and just have Cake Balls. Then take either chocolate or candy melts and melt them down, dip your pops/balls into the melted choc/candy and let set up. Viola! Cake Pops/Balls! Once the coating is set firmly - you can decorate in any way - with choc drizzle, edible markers, the possibilities are endless!

This site is awesome for inspiration, tips, and recipes:
http://www.bakerella.com/

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 9

I bought bakerella's book on amazon.com..Excellent.I made these last week for a party and are very easy once you figure out the little tricks etc...Cute as heck too!!

tip#1...Don't make ball too big or they are just too heavy.

tip#2...Dip the stick into candy melts and then insert into ball.

tip#3...You may have to coat a white ball twice especially chocolate cake

tip#4...I froze mine and then let them thaw for about 5 minutes before I dipped...only 1 cracked and I fixed it with a piping bag and more candy melt.

tip#5..You need a styrofoam block..Hee!Hee!..I tried to use an egg carton upside down and they just fell all over.Grrrrr

tip#6...I packaged some of mine and the easiest way was to slip the clear small treat bag over and tape the bottom and then tie a ribbon..Trying to tie a ribbon around while holding the bag closed was too hard...

Once you do a few it gets easier and faster so go to it!!!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 9
Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all so much. Kiddikakes, great suggestions! I'm off to get these started icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 9

No Worries...the video on youtube is great also...

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 9

great suggestions kiddiecakes. I just started making these also and had my DH build me a holding board. You can see a pic in my photos. Board is pre-drilled with holes just large enough for the pop sticks and are evenly distributed at every 2". Board is laminate covered MDF, so no worries about it tipping over....very solid and easy to clean, reusable etc... I used clear cello wrap cut in squares and tied with ribbon. First couple were a little tricky to get started, but once I figured out a system, it took no time at all to finish. These were star shaped (though hard to tell once wrapped and bunched together). I used various decorating mediums to enhance. Very fun to make. Good luck with yours and be sure to post pics when done icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 9

I made Frosty the snowmans and plain cakepops...I didn't get pictures because in my hast and wanting to get all my orders done I packaged them up before getting photos...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%