Best Way To Do Stars And Silhouette ?( Image Attached)

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 19 Dec 2010 , 6:33pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

Wondering best way to do the stars in this image? RI? And the Santa sihouette? I'd like to do fondant, but is a bit intricate for my fondant cutting skills, so I'm thinking an edible image? Other options are painting the sihouette or using edible markers to draw.

http://seasonchristmas.com/images/christmas/christmas-101.jpg

But just so you can picture it, the cake will be a sheet cake with a white fondant cover, with houses/bldg silhouettes in different colors, below this (made out of fondant -laying flat).
It's nice to have the accents look uniform, so I think that the edible image would look less out of place than the other options? Ideas? Thoughts?
TIA
Terri

4 replies
cakesrock Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 5

anyone? icon_smile.gif

lilscakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 5

I think I would cut the santa silhouette out of fondant / gumpaste & paint the stars with some shimmer dust mixed with vanilla or clear alcohol. The stars are a bit too fine to cut out I think so free handing them with a paintbrush would probably work well and look great. The other option would be if you had a stencil, you could try that technique, though I think the freehand painted stars would look better. Good luck with it. Be sure to post a pic when done!

cakesrock Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for the idea for the star! I hadn't thought of that!

cakesrock Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 5

I ended up spraying the sky with color mist, then taking some vanilla on a toothpick covered with paper towel and taking off the color in the form of a star, then painting in the lustre dust mixed with vanilla to make it sparkle

For the Santa, it was so small, that cutting fondant was not feasible .Even an edible image would have been to delicate. Drawing it with edible marker was the best option and I had to do it on a piece of fondant because I was afraid to do it right on the cake. I'm not crazy about the fondant around it but I was happy with the drawing. Thanks for the suggestions!

We are a Seniors housing company that has lodges, apts and cottages and the middle house on the cake is our company logo. This is for my Admin X-Mas Party.

I cannot seem to attach the photo but if you are interested, it's in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%