Facebook Rant About "friends"

Lounge By Motta Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 9:44am by cabecakes

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:22am
post #1 of 12

So I have an FB page for my cakes. I noticed that the people who usually comment are the ones I know who are also in the cake biz. My other friends don't even take the time to comment (I put pics of 2 cakes I did for one friend and she didn't even comment on FB that they were nice or tasted good or anything).

I appreciate my cake friends more and more these days. I find my other friends are not that supportive overall. Anyone else notice this for themselves??? Do I just have bad friends? It would really help me get exposure if my local friends would comment on my FB page. icon_sad.gif

11 replies
alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 12

I'm with you on that... I too wish my friends would comment on my cakes...shoot even a "that's cool" would be nice...

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:10am
post #3 of 12

I have found that the longer I make cakes (not long) the less comments I get. Maybe they expect more and more from me and the whole thing is becoming a bit "ho hum" and its hard to wow anybody anymore.

I think the difference is your caking friends actually understand and appreciate the amount of work that you have put into making it! I know what ya mean, a "like" or a comment here and there are great to get your page circulated further icon_smile.gif

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:13am
post #4 of 12

well i did get few comments from my friends but i guess only cause they are the one who were pushing me to start something.. but of course as i put more cakes on facebook they get bored, and stop commenting.. i think its like ohh here comes another cake. no one is excited and wants to know how i did something or appreciate a specific element..
so recently i started actually telling my friends to "check out the new cake i put on facebook it took me 2 days to make" then they would comment icon_razz.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 12

I think our FB friends are not as "obsessed" with cakes as we are! LOL!! I know I don't comment on a lot of my friend's pictures of other things. I may just glance through them, but don't take the time to comment.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 12

I see it as a few things:

1. When I got accepted into college, I was super excited. My mom was like - congrats. I asked her why she wasn't more excited. She said they know I am smart, and could have gotten into any college I wanted. She knew I would get in, get scholarships and do a great job. I knew forget that they (my parents) always have more confidence in me than I do myself sometimes.

2. As far as cakes go, my friends rock. I know I'm lucky to have supportive friends - but again, like my parents, they know I'm good so they don't feel the need to compliment me. I don't expect them to.

3. My sisters has TONS of friends on FB - from her Zumba and such - that many times she does even see her real friends updates. No biggie.

4. Isn't it a bit egotisical for us to expect to comment and compliement our work? Just a thought.

Motta Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 12

ccr03 - Let's face it - we want the compliments when we post a new photo. It would be false to say you don't want positive feedback every time. If it was just a gallery, we'd only update our websites. FB is an advertising tool and we use it for the instant feedback to generate interest in our work and create sales.

I have many friends and I know that they (and others) are looking at the photos because FB tracks that for me. How hard is it for a few of them to write an encouraging note? I do it for photos of their family, trip, etc. I'd like them to return the gesture. It doesn't diminish my faith in my abilities if I would like feedback. I guess I'm just venting...

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 12

Yeah, let me tell you what. People get over the pretty cakes after a bit. They know you do good work, and they start to skim over constant uploads of cakes. Just sayin. Don't take it personally.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 12

motta - honestly, I don't expect positive feedback everytime. I don't post pics to get feedback, I post them to showcase my work. If I have a cake I am especially enamored with, I'll take a pic and tweet about. As a matter of fact, a lot of my FB friends for cakes are new ppl that I want to impress. Yes, it's an advertising tool but I use it more as a gallery and to make special announcements or communicate with my customers.

But yeah, don't take it personally.

- Man, my previous post is filled w/typos! Eh,...

Motta Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 12

After giving it more thought and looking at it differently, I have to say "Thanks" to all of you for giving me a different perspective. I appreciate it and you're right....it probably gets old to those who aren't in the cake biz. Ah...it's nice to get this off my chest. icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 12

I personally don't comment on too many FB posts at all because I don't want to then get emails every single time someone else comments. So, if they are like me, they don't want to fill up their mailbox.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:44am
post #12 of 12

I try to always leave a comment on my friends cakes on facebook, but we are in a group targetted to cake called "I Love Cake". I don't think that anyone outside the "cake realm" can honestly appreciate how much work goes into making some of these creations. This is why I usually call it cake designing, because it is more than just about the decorating. Maybe you could start a group geared more toward your cake friends and invite some of your CC friends to become friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%