Wahhhh! Please Help Me :( (Marshmallow Fondant Woes)

Baking By katibeth88 Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 5:24am by imagenthatnj

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 6

okay so i've been workin on this stinkin cake since 9:00 this morning.. i have the top tier covered in fondant, decorated, completely finished... then i make a batch of fondant for my bottom tier and its just awful!

The first attempted batch is crumbly and falling apart no matter how much crisco I add..it just makes it slimy and crumbly.. so i tried powdered sugar, but not working.

so i gave up on that batch and made another.. now its super super soft no matter how much powdered sugar i add.. i can roll it out and roll it onto my rolling pin about to put it on the cake, and it just sticks to itself! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

pleassee cake-sisters/brothers help me out icon_sad.gif

5 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 6

I have difficulty if I haven't allowed my Fondant to rest overnight. Some cakers call it "ripening" your fondant.

Try sprinkling your work area with a mixture of half cornstarch and half powdered sugar, and see if that helps.

Good Luck........and I've definitely felt your pain

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

icon_smile.gif thanks. i'm using you as an excuse to go to bed and try again tomorrow!

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:56am
post #4 of 6

Well to me it sounds like just measurement problems or you might have added too much water the second time and not enough sugar and the first time too much sugar perhaps... For sure try again tomorrow. I always use my dough hook attachment on my KA..that helps me get the right consistancy! Good luck tomorrow icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:01am
post #5 of 6

i've never used the MMF recipe that calls for crisco. i found a video on youtube that showed step by step how to make it using a stand mixer. i will try to find the link to it, but her recipe calls for marshmallows, a little water, and powdered sugar only. it works so great! here's the link:
part 1:

really great tutorial thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%