I've Got A Potential Pita Mob Here, Don't I?

Business By jenmat Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm by diamonds-and-rust

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:31am
post #31 of 45

Just because the bride was told that the date was still open, doesn't obligate you to do her cake. One purpose of the consultation (in my opinion) is to make sure that all the parties involved have a chance to find out if they are willing/able to work with each other.

If you decide to proceed, make and maintain clear boundaries about how you operate YOUR business, and as others have mentioned....document, document, document.

If it were me, I think I would respectfully decline the opportunity to take on this cake if the MOB is who you have to deal with.....

Best to you whatever you decide!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:38am
post #32 of 45

I would spell it out to her:

"You are a woman who appreciates honesty. I have been in business long enough to know that when we start a contractwith 'Don't take offense, your cake wasn't level' things aren't likely to go well down the road. The fact is that cake was levelled with a level. That said, we probably won't be able to work well together unless you step aside and let me work with the bride. Otherwise, this will go downhill fast. I'm sure a woman of your straightforwardness can appreciate that."

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:43am
post #33 of 45

Maybe you can talk the bride into a topsy turvey cake...chances are the MOB will complain it's level...

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:36am
post #34 of 45

Call the bride and tell her to deal with her mother and her pushy behavior if she wants you to do her cake, the bride knows how her mother will run you she was raised by her, also make it clear to the bride and MOB you do the consult on the day planned and that's it, don't allow this pushy woman to run your business and inconvenience you. MOB is being a PIA before the consult can you imagine during and after the event, she is rude and pushy nip it in the bud. People who say I don't mean to offend and run their mouth have already done so by criticizing someone elses work and saying it's yours, your risking major stress dealing with the nut.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Cakes

Maybe you can talk the bride into a topsy turvey cake...chances are the MOB will complain it's level...

now i must wipe the chardonay off my monitor!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:22am
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Cakes

Muahahahahahaha!! I needed that laugh BADLY! Thank you! icon_lol.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:17pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylani

"Mrs. PIA, I just received a deposit for the last space available on May 30th. I am so sorry that I will not be available for your date. Thank you for your interest. I hope we can work together in the future. In the meantime, Sally Tally is a wonderful cake designer & may still have that date available. Would you like her number?"

End of story.

Respectfully beg to differ. I don't like the "oh I'm booked" approach because it's dishonest, which erodes my personal integrity and it doesn't address the problem.

I'd simply be firm and assertive about what I can or can't do, let her decide if she accepts my terms and conditions and respects my artistry/skill, and make sure I have an iron clad contract if she does decide to book.

I also hate the "I'm booked" excuse. As you said, it doesn't address the actual issue. What's to stop the customer from bringing those same difficulties back in six months for their next cake? Either take control of the situation so that it works for you, or (if you really don't want to deal with them) let them know that you don't think you're the right baker for them and cut them loose for good. Otherwise you're just wasting everybody's time.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #38 of 45

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you're booked. It's a lot better than saying, "I don't want to do business with you because I don't like you," no matter how politely worded it is.

And just because you don't want to deal with the MOB doesn't mean that you don't want the bride to call you in a couple of years for a first birthday cake.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:06pm
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

. It's a lot better than saying, "I don't want to do business with you because I don't like you," no matter how politely worded it is.

I think that would work just fine, as long as she also says, "No offense intended!". icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif just kidding, I couldn't resist.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:49pm
post #40 of 45

In a similar situation, I called the bride with a pre-written script and told her something like,

"I'm so happy to have talked with you, you are so sweet and I know that your wedding will be a beautiful event. As you know, I'm a very experienced cake decorator having done hundreds of weddings, I've never had a single complaint. I have delivered to the venue you are using in the past and they said my cake was a huge hit and everyone enjoyed the flavors. This being said, and I'm not trying to cause any rift in your relationship at all, I have been contacted by your mom multiple times regarding your cake. The reality is I serve many many brides, and I simply don't have time to spend an extra 2 hours every week building up to your wedding to answer your moms questions. If you know that this is what she needs to be comfortable, it may be best for everyone if you find another cake decorator. I would prefer, of course, that she trusts my experience and professionalism and I can continue making your wedding cake."

And my bride from there apologized like crazy and calmed her mother down, and no complaint came afterward. But I was prepared for sure to have them walk away. I certainly would NEVER tell a bride that her mom is a B or anything like that, but we all know what our moms are like and if they are needier. My mom is. I remember apologizing constantly to our DJ who she kept calling and emailing and trying to sing songs to him from her past that she couldn't remember the words to but she wanted him to have for MY reception...

Anyhow, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:26pm
post #41 of 45

Excellent response AligotMatt, fair honest and professional.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:44pm
post #42 of 45

ok, so an update on today.

As I expected the drop off lasted about 45 minutes. The woman brought her friend who was an artist, so that was a bit intimidating, BUT...
They were the NICEST people I've met with so far this tasting season! My mind is literally swirling with the compliments, from my cake pictures, to the design of my house (I designed it from the sticks up). The friend actually asked me what PAINT I used in my living room because she HAD to get some!

Now, they may be totally be sucking up, but I'll take it. I'm still going to keep my eye out and maintain better boundaries than I did with this meeting, but on the whole, I'm really glad I gave them a chance.

I guess the lesson for me is, don't judge a rich lady by her phone conversations!
icon_lol.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 10:21pm
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

As I expected the drop off lasted about 45 minutes. The woman brought her friend who was an artist, so that was a bit intimidating, BUT...
They were the NICEST people I've met with so far this tasting season! My mind is literally swirling with the compliments, from my cake pictures, to the design of my house (I designed it from the sticks up). The friend actually asked me what PAINT I used in my living room because she HAD to get some!

Now, they may be totally be sucking up, but I'll take it. I'm still going to keep my eye out and maintain better boundaries than I did with this meeting, but on the whole, I'm really glad I gave them a chance.

I guess the lesson for me is, don't judge a rich lady by her phone conversations!
icon_lol.gif

I am SOOOOOOO happy to hear it went so well for you today. Lots of stress removed by this meeting. Good for you, and them. I hope you end up with a wonderful long lasting relationship out of this. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 10:40pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

icon_lol.gif

I honestly hope it works out for you and that she doesn't present any further problems for you. However, just because they are nice now, doesnt mean they will be. The PITA MOB I just dealt with this past week was nothing but an absolute doll when we met back in August. She too complimented my cakes, my house, my designs, on and on. I anticipated absolutely no problems with this woman until 3 weeks before the wedding when she went Momzilla on me. After the horrible cake I delivered for her last weekend, she turns out to be one of the most disrespectful, condescending b!tches Ive ever met. So while I truly hope that you end up having nothing but a pleasant experience with this lady, just be careful and dont let your guard down. Good luck and keep us posted!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

"I think you are an overbearing, cast iron b***h, who will never be satisfied with anything, no matter how perfect, and in your unreasonable quest for perfection you are going to ruin the ONE day that your daughter has to make the memory of a lifetime. No offense."

I mean... I said 'no offense' so she shouldn't be offended, right? icon_confused.gif

Oh, and your butt looks big in those pants... no offense. Maybe it's the pants, but I kind of think it's probably just your giant @ss.

oh god, you always make me lol
thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%