Stupid Question About Mini Cupcakes

Business By karateka Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 2:55am by johnson6ofus

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 13

Is there something different about them besides the size?

I have this inquiry that says:

Do you do mini-cupcakes too?
I did look on the website, but was not able to see many cupcake pictures. do you have pictures of the cupcakes or a list of flavors?
Most of what we are interested in is the look of the cupcakes (taste matters too!) but since they are small the design and look is what we are trying to get a feel for right now.

I explained that I haven't gotten many orders for cupcakes, (my website displays the cakes that I have done, not all the available options) although I am capable of doing whatever they might want. Now she is asking if she should place an order for some mini cupcakes, even though I told her she qualifies for a free tasting. To be fair, I don't do tastings with cupcakes, I cut square cakes into mini squares and put them on the plate with dollops of frosting and filling so they can mix and match.

I guess I'm afraid there is a subtext here that I am missing. Is there something about "mini cupcakes" that is different? Some lingo I'm not getting? I googled them and they look like regular cupcakes to me, only smaller.....she wasn't specific as to what she's expecting and I don't want to sound like an idiot if I ask again, unless you all think she's just not being clear.

I'm so daggone paranoid lately that I'm coming across like an inept idiot that I wanted to check with experts first.
icon_redface.gif

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 13

size is the only thing. My guess is this is someone who thinks that there is a difference between that cake mix on the shelf in the stores and the cupcake mix sitting next to it. Just have to educate the customer on this one.

Let her know that you can make any of the flavors listed for cakes into cupcakes. Also, if you set up the consultation ask her to bring in some pictures of the design style she likes (not necessarily exactly what she wants) sometimes a picture says so much more than words, expecially when people are using different termonoligy

karateka Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 13

Thank you! I was starting to feel a little stupid. I did ask her if she had a picture of what she liked, and all I got was the response asking if she should place and order. I was sitting here reading it and scratching my head, wondering if I was missing something.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 13

I would do the order for her as requested. If that's what she wants, then give it to her and knock her socks off. Otherwise, offer to do a dozen minis in lieu of a tasting, and do the consult later. She'll think you're willing to go above and beyond.
At a consult, you could also slip in something about WHY minis? To save money, because they're cute? Also, she'll need to order a lot- those things are like potato chips, ya know?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:22am
post #5 of 13

With her being a bit confused, the only real concern I can see emerging is that she might be thinking she can get a decoration the size you'd put on a full size cupcake, but have it fit on a mini. Either that or she's just not sure how her design will look done in a smaller version on the cupcake.

I think you're on very safe ground to ask her to explain better what her concerns are so you can give her all the information she needs, because you want her to get exactly what she wants, and for her to be happy.

karateka Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 13

Jen-

How many do you think per person? I've never had anyone inquire about minis. What would you charge apiece for them? I charge 2 bucks each for regular size ones iced in a simple swirl.

Plus....I'd need a mini pan. Have jumbo and regular, no minis. But I'd hate to buy one without an order, as slow as things have been lately. My luck it would be another free tasting with no order. Again.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:40am
post #7 of 13

eesh. I would order 2 per person, but that's just me, maybe not quite 2? Hmm, I'm not the best to ask about charging... (I get yelled at on here all the time for undercharging!) but I would say a buck a piece. Maybe more because they're more work?

PM Debi- she could give you some recommendations.

Now, I was just reading somewhere that someone was using solo cups to do cupcakes, both minis and regular ones. You can actually just line them up on a sheet pan and it takes a lot less time, and the cupcakes don't pull away from the liners. These are the cups that look like nut cups, but they're not waxed. Just a thought.
Otherwise, I think walmart sells them for under $10. I know, another expense, but sometimes you gotta spend to make...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:48am
post #8 of 13

We sell mini-cupcakes (which are about 1/3 the size of regular cupcakes) for half the price of regular cupcakes, but the minimum order is twice as much (24 mini-cupcakes vs. 12 regular cupcakes). We recommend 2.5 mini-cupcakes per person.

We also don't do any custom decorations for mini-cupcakes (other than something simple like sprinkles).

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:13am
post #9 of 13

I sell the mini cupcakes for more than half of a standard one. Standards are 2.50, minis are 1.50. This is because there is the same amount of work involved for each, even though they are smaller. I also have a minimum order of 24 minis (12 for standards), and make sure they know that each 24 is the same flavour. I would recommend 2 per person too, but it would depend on what other food the customer has available at the event. If there is other sweet stuff, 1 mini would suffice perhaps.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 13

I tell the client to base the # of mini cupcakes needed off how many different flavors they order.

For example, say it is for a wedding with 100 guests attending. If all the mini cupcakes are chocolate then 2-3/person is enough. If the client is ordering 4 different flavors then I recommend 3-4/person. When people see tiny desserts, especially several different types, they want to try them all. The thought is, "they are only a bite, so 4 cupcakes is like having a dessert that is only the size of 4 bites".

Jason brought out that a mini cupcakes is about 1/3 the size of a regular cupcake (I use wrapers that are between a regular and jumbo size so in my case mini's are about 1/4 the size of a cupcake). For cupcake weddings 1 cupcake is equal to 1 slice of cake. So, if a mini 1/3 a cupcake it will take 3 to equal a normal serving.

karateka Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 13

So I sent her an email telling her I'd be delighted to fill an order for mini cupcakes and asked her if she had an idea of what she wanted design-wise.

This is the response I got:

I think we'd need to see a variety of them to get an idea. Something very cute and elegant though. Do you have pictures of the options?

I've already told her I don't have pictures of every design possible, only of what I have personally created. I guess she wants me to search the internet for her.

I sent her some links from google and said that they were some examples of what was possible, but she was really only limited by imagination. I wonder how that will go over? I quoted her some prelim pricing...will probably never hear from her again.

Thank you, btw...you guys are great! I love the idea of those souffle cups. I have to try those. You say Michaels has them?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I sent her some links from google and said that they were some examples of what was possible, but she was really only limited by imagination. I wonder how that will go over? I quoted her some prelim pricing...will probably never hear from her again.

I think you handled it well.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 2:55am
post #13 of 13

Just to be sure she does not think "mini cakes"--- as in those PITA individual cakes. Lots of time, lots of work... lots of $$$$.

Also sounds to me that she is thinking detailed individual decorations. Gee- I wonder if she plans to pay 3X the price for 3X the work for 3X the number of cute individual servings... <sigh>.

Your answers were perfect! Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%