Stained Glass Window Cookies

Baking By leafO Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 5:29am by leafO

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #1 of 5

So, a few years ago I made those cookies where you cut out the center and fill it with hard candy, which melts during baking and makes a pretty glass looking "window" in the center of the cookie. They turned out wonderful and looked so pretty hanging on the tree as ornaments.

I have little ones now and thought the kids would enjoy making them so this year we did them for cookie ornaments and as the windows of our gingerbread house. They turned out lovely, and we hung them on the tree.

But...a couple of days later they are all melting!! That never happened with the other ones I did before. The only thing I did differently was use lifesavers candy instead of jolly rancher. Do you think it was the brand of candy that caused the melting or something else? We have had the humidifier going since my dh has a cold, maybe it's too humid in my house?

I'm not sure what I did wrong icon_cry.gif

4 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 5

I am so sorry for the unfortunate event. I really do not have any answer to your question.
I just thought maybe you can melt some isomalt and pour it in the place of melted candy while the cookies are flat on a nonstick surface??!! That might work.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:53am
post #3 of 5

I use life savers exclusively and never had the problem. Were they close to a christmas tree bulb or something?

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 5

Oh thats such a cute ideat! I have never used life savors for the stained glass, it could be the heat of the lights on the tree though... Thats my guess or the candy.. good luck!!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:29am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies, it's such a strange thing!

I think maybe my house has been too warm/ humid. Now that I think about it...I've been doing a lot of baking and we made a big pot of russian stew that has to simmer all day. The tree is pretty close to the kitchen. The windows on my gingerbread house looked like vandals had thrown rocks through them lol. The house was constructed already but not decorated yet so i ended up covering them up with some fondant and piped around them.

I'll have to try isomalt the next time, I've been dying for an excuse to try it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%