Ri On Sugar Cookies

Baking By kimma1299 Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 4:30pm by metria

kimma1299 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 5

I need some help please. I mostly work in cake and usually use fondant or buttercream and rarely in RI and only when making flowers, but I would like to make some decorated sugar cookies with RI. Could you awesome cookie decorators tell me how you get the icing so smooth and maybe a little step by step on how to? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
metria Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:54am
post #2 of 5

you might be talking about the "flooding" technique. here's a great tutorial from Sweetopia:

cakeflake80 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 5

The key is the consistency. I don't flood with RI, I normally use glace because I prefer the taste...I use RI for the outline and details. However, I have flooded with RI. Just make sure it's thin consistency. I read somewhere that it should disappear within 5 seconds when you pick some up on a spoon and drop it back into the rest of the RI. That's how you know it's thin enough. Then I just use a piping bag and usually a #3 tip and just start around the edges and keep going until you get to the center. If it's the right consistency, the lines will blend into eachother and it will dry smooth.

kimma1299 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 5

So, the RI that you outline with will obviously be a thick consistency and then you thin and flood correct?

metria Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 5

if i'm being lazy (which i usually am) i'll use the same thin consistency RI to outline. i'll let that sit for a few minutes and then flood it. i'll only do that if i'm not using multiple colors next to each other.

Quote by @%username% on %date%