What To Do With Leftover Fondant?

Decorating By sweetpea3829 Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 12:45pm by Manderly42

sweetpea3829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea3829 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 20

I have a good amount of leftover fondant...white, red (made with red candy melts...what an awesome recipe that was), and yellow.

I don't have any plans for needing it in the next...I don't know...six months or so...lol. Perhaps my next son's birthday in April.

Any ideas on what else I can do with it? Can I make candy out of it or something?

19 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 20

I can only tell you about bought fondant so my advice may not help but... wrap the crud out of it and save it. You never know when yo may need it. if it keeps i guarantee you you will use little bits here and there. When I started paying with fondant and colors I played with colors and fondant all day long. end result was that i had about 20 little balls of colored fondant. I didnt know what to do with it so i wrapped it and kept it. by the end of the 3rd month i had used up all the little balls. hth

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 20

fondant has a long shelf life, just save it. You can also freeze fondant to save it even longer.

sweetpea3829 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 20

It's MMF...so it should still be ok to just store? There's nothing else I can make with it?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 20

all you can do with fondant is use it on cakes - covering or accents. surprise surprise, your next cake will have red accents! (can also water it down to practice piping...)
maybe practice your modelling?
i know the home made ones dont last as well as bought ones, so maybe freeze it if you really wont use it.
xx

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 20

You could make some sugar cookie cut outs and cover with the fondant, sorry I have no other ideas. Yes, you can store MMF for a long time.

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 20

I disagree with Princess_B about storing home made fondant. I always make my own fondant and some of my colors have been sitting around my shop for months with no issue, but like I said, you can freeze fondant if you are concerned.

sweetpea3829 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 20

Well my next cake (after these next upcoming two) will be my 2 turning 3 yr old son's birthday cake in April. Toy Story. I'm sure I can manage to find a use for it in that cake. Thanks all!!!

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 20

Can't you whip up some christmas cookies? I made cake-mix cookies (the easiest cookies in the world and SOOOOO tastey) for my students at school and used my leftover fondant to decorate. Just dye the white green or somethin and go crazy!

By the way, mind sharing that wonderful recipe? icon_smile.gif

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 20

yes it definitely stores well, both bought & homemade. I have bunches. You can always practice modeling flowers or something...practice for Toy Story. Or you can cover thinly iced cupcakes too

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:29am
post #11 of 20

Ooooh, won't you please share the recipe!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #14 of 20

That red MMF sounds cool! I can't wait to try it!! I have a bucket of leftover fondant that I probably won't use on a cake or anything but I keep it around to practice with. In my pix I have a purple and orange penguin and a bright pink fondant frog I did that with. icon_lol.gif

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:55am
post #15 of 20

When putting fondant on cookies, how is the fondant attached? Royal Icing?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderly42

When putting fondant on cookies, how is the fondant attached? Royal Icing?

I use strained jam -- peach or apricot. Add a little water, simmer for about 20 minutes and strain. Brush on the back of the fondant then apply to the cookie. Gives a great added zing of flavor! Some people use piping gel, some use corn syrup and some use nothing -- just put the fondant on a hot cookie. I like the strained preserves myself. icon_biggrin.gif

Manderly42 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:15am
post #17 of 20

Awesome - I'll have to try it a few different ways. Thanks!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #18 of 20

Cut out your fondant with the same cookie cutter before you put the cookies in the oven. AS SOON AS THEY COME OUT--- place the fondant on top of the hot cookies. You might want to smooth them with your finger, but do so right away or you'll need to do it after they've cooled all the way or you'll mess the fondant up. I don't like fondant on cake, but LOVE it on cookies!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:34am
post #19 of 20

double wrap it in saran, put it in a ziplic freezer baggie and squish all the air out, then vacuum seal it. i just used some today that i prepared in june and it was as fresh as when I made it.
cathy

Manderly42 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks for the tips on the cookies!

And it is awesome to know that I don't have to waste leftover fondant!

Thanks, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%