Mousse

Decorating By caked4life Updated 3 Apr 2014 , 8:50pm by swtangel102

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 21

I came across this recipe for an easy mousse. Has anyone tried this? Is it firm enough to use as a filling. It just seems like it would be too soft and ooze out under te pressure.

1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 cup of milk
1 large package of jello vanilla pudding

TIA

20 replies
visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 21

I don't know how that can really be called Mouse, it sounds just like pudding to me. I mean don't you add that much liquid for that size of a pudding packet to start with.

I have never seen it, But I am willing to bet, its just like pudding.

caked4life Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 21

I was thinking the same thing. Unless, the heavy cream will make it stiff. I'm going to try it. To be continued...

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 21

Im thinking that when you beat in the heavy cream it will become mousse like. I don't know how stable it will be and for how long but it would be delicious in a cup or chocolate cup

caked4life Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 21

Haven't tried it yet, but I saw a picture and it looked pretty mousse like. Very thick and stiff. Will attempt either tonight or tomorrow.

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 21

I have a mousse recipe that calls for whipping cream, pudding packet, and cream cheese. Delicious and thick. I use it in cakes all the time.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 21

cadgurl could you share your recipe? I am looking for a good choc mousse recipe.
TIA

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 21

I came up with this as a mousse filling. It holds up good and I didn't refrigerate the cake after filling and icing.

1- 8oz container of Cool Whip
1/2 package of chocolate, devils food or whatever flavor pudding mix dry

Combine the dry pudding mix with the Cool Whip stir and there you are.

Woodruffbn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woodruffbn1 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 21

I used one that called for Dream Whip and pudding. It is very light though and would not be a good filling. It is very tasty to eat though.

cadgurl07 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 21

Sure it's

Block (8oz) of Cream Cheese
1 Cup of heavy whipping cream
1/2 to 3/4 box of pudding.

I think I found it on here but I could be wrong.

They way I've been doing it is:

Cream the cream cheese until smooth and alternate between the heavy whipping cream and pudding ending with the pudding. This way if you need it thicker you can add more pudding mix.

I've done this not only with the chocolate pudding mix, but the cheesecake and banana cream too. My favorite is the banana cream....add some banana slices and you're set.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by caked4life

I came across this recipe for an easy mousse. Has anyone tried this? Is it firm enough to use as a filling. It just seems like it would be too soft and ooze out under te pressure.

1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 cup of milk
1 large package of jello vanilla pudding

TIA

i use this recipe all the time for filling! it's listed here on CC as Costco Mousse: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7308/costco-mousse-recipe

i love it and use it with different instant pudding flavors. it's easy and tasty. the only trouble is that it should be refrigerated.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 21

do you whip the heavy cream seperately?
then add to the cream cheese?

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks. I will have to try this recipe today. Love cream cheese.
Thanks again.

cadgurl07 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 21

I've never whipped the whipping cream separately...but that doesn't mean you can't...I just never tried. It's not a light and fluffy mousse when I make it....if anyone has a recipe for one of those...I'd love that!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I came up with this as a mousse filling. It holds up good and I didn't refrigerate the cake after filling and icing.

1- 8oz container of Cool Whip
1/2 package of chocolate, devils food or whatever flavor pudding mix dry

Combine the dry pudding mix with the Cool Whip stir and there you are.

I have a question please, about the refrigeration part of it. I love to do a whipped cream-cream cheese filling (usually strawberry) and have refrigerated the small cake in the past. However, I'd like to do this with lemon flavoring for a wedding cake in the bottom tier, but I don't have the space to refrigerate a 6, 8, 10 inch tiered cake. I'm using a crusting buttercream and plan to have the cake completed on Thursday for a Friday night wedding. My recipe also has whipped cream, cream cheese & sugar (no pudding mix though). To refrigerate or not to refrigerate...that is the question. And IF it needs refrigeration (I hope it doesn't), how far in advance can I take it out to display? icon_biggrin.gif

TIA...

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 21

*bump..

caked4life Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:24am
post #17 of 21

OMG! I tried the recipe with a little variation: 1 pint heavy whipping cream; 1 small package of pudding mix(I used white chocolate); and 1tbsp of vanilla. It was DELICIOUS! I could have eaten the entire bowl full. It does get really stiff. I think it would make a perfect filling! It is definitely tried and true! icon_lol.gif

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 1:44am
post #18 of 21

It would be helpful if the recipes designated the jello as regular or instant.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:20am
post #19 of 21

I often do filling in cakes and all my cakes are iced in buttercream. I fill and ice my cakes frozen the day before the wedding and store at room temp (always poke a hole in the top center all the way through). I never refrigerate any cakes (except cheesecakes) and I NEVER EVER stack a wedding cake for delivery. If you want to refrigerate your tiers you should be able to if they are not stacked.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:42am
post #20 of 21

Yup! that's my recipe, it works great as a filling, is the one I give my students at my school, good luck!

swtangel102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtangel102 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:50pm
post #21 of 21

For mousse I use egg, gelatine, whipping cream, sugar and milk.  The gelatine and whip cream holds it up and as long as you create a dam around so it doesn't ooze out, it works well with the layered cakes.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%