Cake Not Getting Done

Baking By parsleygurl Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 3:41am by parsleygurl

parsleygurl Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a recipe where make cake is just not getting done. I'm only using two 8" by 2". I've lowered my oven to 325, but at 35 min wobbly, 5 min more same, 5 min more crusty on top but wobbly in middle and overflowing. I filled them about 2/3 full and I've wrapped the pans with cake strips. The recipe I got off of epicurious and calls for a bundt. Please help!!

Mexican Chocolate Cake Gourmet | April 2004
active time: 35 min
total time: 2 hr

* 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
* 3/4 cup water
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
* 2 tablespoons vanilla
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* Special equipment: a 9-inch tube pan or 12-cup bundt pan

5 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

I would've left it at 350 and kept watching it after 40-45 minutes. Bundt pans bake differently so you'll have to adapt and keep watch. It should work - be patient.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

Chocolate cakes like this are notorious for this! A good portion of the baking powder doesn't start working until it gets hot! The very liquid chocolate batter can overflow a low lying pan when the heat works into the batter.

Next time, use a taller pan, collar the one you have, or adjust the recipe down.

The recipe sounds great!

parsleygurl Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 6

Will a flower nail and heating core from the wonder mold help?

brincess_b Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

heating core would be overkill, a flower nail will do the job just as well. seriously tho, try to leave the cake until the max time - so you know now at 45 mins its not ready, leave it a bit longer before even thinking about opening the oven door. a good guide is that it should smell like a baked cake. opening the door causes temperature changes that can really mess with some cakes. on the other hand, not all recipes are good ones!

parsleygurl Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:41am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. The next ones came out better. I put less batter in, so they are smaller. After they cooled they still shrank, therefore I made another 8" and I'll make the 3 look like a torte. I'm going to make a ganache for filling and then a mocha buttercream with a little cinnamon for icing. I made some extra cupcakes from leftover batter so I can sample it tomorrow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%