Need To Vent....hating Caking Right Now

Business By tootie0809 Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 8:47pm by eXtremecakes

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm
post #31 of 53

Cakesdivine is right on the money.

It sounds like you are worked to death and a complaint came at just the wrong moment.

So often, I read about complaints, and can kind of understand the customer. Not the case here. The cake is beautiful.

An idea would be to hire soeone with a percantage of business they bring in. You could raise your prices a little to offset the pay. Then you would have some sanity back in your life.

I see it like this:

Raise prices 15% - 20%. Give Your helper 10% - 15%. On a $300 cake, they make $30/hr. On a $1000 wedding cake they make $100/hr for a one hour consult. It seems like a lot, but they handle all inquiries/changes/etc. The cost is covered in the price increase( which you should do every 6 - 12 months anyway). You get some sanity back with no change in cash flow.

It might be worth a try.

LadypinkertonB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadypinkertonB Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:33pm
post #32 of 53

Hi Tootie!

Firstly the cake is gorgeous and if you managed to take a decent photo with both bows in surely the (proffesional??) photographer would??

Secondly please do not offer a refund - no matter how defeated you feel - all the cake was eaten, lots of compliments as cake devine (who has lots of good advice) says no grounds!

I was wondering if you have a good friend who is a real people person who could do the wedding shows with you? she can do the chatty bit and you can be there to answer the "techy/cakey" stuff (I am quite shy icon_redface.gif until someone asks me about cake!!)

There is some fantastic advice on this thread and enjoy your break!

Kxx

PS I normally just read the thread and this is my first reply and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody on here for the valuable advice and inspiration I have had since joining! hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a very prosperous New Year icon_biggrin.gif

Kxx

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm
post #33 of 53

Update, she called me back and I was on the other line, so she left a VM saying that she got a call from her daughter (the bride) this morning and that she hasn't talked to her but she never gets calls from her in the day so she assumes she is upset and accused me of contacting her daughter and that that was unacceptable and to not contact her daughter and upset her and that she had a lovely wedding and doesn't need me to contact her daughter about this issue and make it worse?!!!!!! Wow, I didn't even think of contacting the bride. I don't know why I even would have contacted her. I am apalled that she thinks I would do something like that.

I called her back and let her know I did not try to contact her daughter. She said basically she had just assumed after our conversation last night that I did. She said again that she doesn't even know what her daughter wanted....didn't even talk to her yet, but because she got a phone call from her that she missed and that the daughter never calls her that she was sure it was because she was upset because I had contacted her. OMG! It took everything in me not to tell her I don't appreciate her accusing me of things I didn't do.

Anyway, they want a small refund (10%). At this point, I just want it over with, so I agreed to it. I think I'm more pissed off now though after having her accuse me of trying to cause trouble with her daughter than I was when we talked last night. Good grief. I was just starting to calm down, and now I've got my panties in a bunch again. Serenity Now!!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:42pm
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Update, she called me back and I was on the other line, so she left a VM saying that she got a call from her daughter (the bride) this morning and that she hasn't talked to her but she never gets calls from her in the day so she assumes she is upset and accused me of contacting her daughter and that that was unacceptable and to not contact her daughter and upset her and that she had a lovely wedding and doesn't need me to contact her daughter about this issue and make it worse?!!!!!! Wow, I didn't even think of contacting the bride. I don't know why I even would have contacted her. I am apalled that she thinks I would do something like that.

I called her back and let her know I did not try to contact her daughter. She said basically she had just assumed after our conversation last night that I did. She said again that she doesn't even know what her daughter wanted....didn't even talk to her yet, but because she got a phone call from her that she missed and that the daughter never calls her that she was sure it was because she was upset because I had contacted her. OMG! It took everything in me not to tell her I don't appreciate her accusing me of things I didn't do.

Anyway, they want a small refund (10%). At this point, I just want it over with, so I agreed to it. I think I'm more pissed off now though after having her accuse me of trying to cause trouble with her daughter than I was when we talked last night. Good grief. I was just starting to calm down, and now I've got my panties in a bunch again. Serenity Now!!!!!

Wow, she's a gem...Make a note fo her phone number and don't answer it anymore when the caller ID announces that she's calling!

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm
post #35 of 53

Some people just suck. I know Emily Post and my mother would be appalled at me, but I don't care.

Some people just suck.

tootie0809 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 10:05pm
post #36 of 53

[quote="costumeczar"]

Quote:

quote]

Wow, she's a gem...Make a note fo her phone number and don't answer it anymore when the caller ID announces that she's calling!

Oh definitely! I already issued her card a refund. Case closed. I'm done with her. This matter is addressed and handled in my books. If she calls me again, I'm going to let my husband answer the phone and it won't be pretty.

costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm
post #37 of 53

[quote="tootie0809"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

quote]

Oh definitely! I already issued her card a refund. Case closed. I'm done with her. This matter is addressed and handled in my books. If she calls me again, I'm going to let my husband answer the phone and it won't be pretty.

I sent my complainer a nominal refund to shut her up, but she told me "this isn't finished!" I told her that if she cashed the check then she has accepted the refund, so I'm waiting to see if she will or if someone will talk her into "taking this further," whatever that means.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:38am
post #38 of 53
Quote:

I posted a photo in my photos of the cake she absolutlely hated. I liked it, but apparently I'm incompetent, the cake ruined the photos at the wedding, and am a major disappointment. It's the cake with gold bows.

How on earth (or in this universe, for that matter) could that cake have ruined anything????

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:05am
post #39 of 53

I smell a rat!!! If the MOB is freaking out on your VM about you possibly calling her daughter...that spells big, fat meddling mother to me!!! Oh how I wish you could have talked to the bride in private and I would bet my kitchenaid icon_lol.gif that the mother had 99% of the complaints. And the bill. icon_wink.gif I suspect it's possible her daughter might have been upset with her own mother for raising such a stink about nothing. Therefore, the mom does NOT want you talking to her and telling her daughter what she has been saying. icon_rolleyes.gif

Case closed, thank goodness! A 10% refund was worth it to make her go away. Hopefully that is your last whiner for a VERY long time!

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:13am
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Quote:

She said again that she doesn't even know what her daughter wanted....didn't even talk to her yet, but because she got a phone call from her that she missed and that the daughter never calls her that she was sure it was because she was upset because I had contacted her.

Her daughter never calls her... why am I not surprised?

Hope you feel cake-love again soon.

Cris

costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:26pm
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscris

Quote:
Quote:

She said again that she doesn't even know what her daughter wanted....didn't even talk to her yet, but because she got a phone call from her that she missed and that the daughter never calls her that she was sure it was because she was upset because I had contacted her.

Her daughter never calls her... why am I not surprised?

Hahahaha! Good point!

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:00pm
post #42 of 53

i've been in cake business for 6 years..i also have my home bakery where i work and stay...it's really hard when i'm burned out ..i always feel the same thing every month.. when i'm really really tired and some things will go against my way..i almost gave it up for a year but i did had a come back..and i realiZed that if i will just give myself a little break for sometime and have a get away..everything will set in place...for 6 years..thank God i'm still here and happy..and i guess over working is one of a caker's biggest challenge and how to make some balance..i guess

costumeczar Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:44am
post #43 of 53

Woot woot! My complainer cashed her check! Case closed (I hope). And she goes on my "no cake for you" list.

tootie0809 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:44pm
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Woot woot! My complainer cashed her check! Case closed (I hope). And she goes on my "no cake for you" list.

Yeah! Happy for you that she's done and off your back now.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #45 of 53

I really like that cake--the ribbon is so vintage.

That's a dumb reason to squack about the color and the bow placement. She's coming off sounding a little deranged. I'm glad for your sake it's all resolved.

Sounds like bridelette liked the cake & Mom din want you blowing her cover there. I'd take that as a personal challenge and would so give bridelette a call.

This is why I never jumped off the 'open a commercial cakery' cliff--although I never cease to rub my bloody knuckles against that brick wall. I think in this business you either need to go big and bold with employees and a big full blown dealio where you are a business person first or keep it simple (if it's allowed) and give yourself breathers so you can retain some sanity at the end of the day.

So my suggestion is to continue to schedule free time--a free week every month for a while then two free weeks every quarter--something like that. Yes it diminishes the money but it could help keep you on a more even keel.

Since you have already hit the wall you need to think about easing yourself back into this. This way you have some oases built in that you can look forward to --tag team yourself back to baking health.

Best of the best to you!

tootie0809 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 3:55pm
post #46 of 53

I absolutely agree with what you said above, K8. I took on soooooo much more than I should have this year. Some weeks this summer I had 6 wedding cakes. Even with the slower fall/winter wedding season, I'm still feeling the burnout from overextending myself. I have made new limits for this upcoming year....no more than 3 cakes per week. In the summer, I am going to take off at least 2 full weeks. I do love the idea of scheduling one week or weekend per month completley off too. Now that my head is in a little better place than it was earlier this week, I'm also thinking about talking to one of my younger sisters who is out of college and working some part-time retail jobs if she wants to come work with me 1-2 days a week and do some of the things that drain me, like baking and icing cakes. While I know that means less money for me and the business, I think having someone do some of the duties that really drain me will help keep me more motivated and free me up to do the other side of the business and still have time to myself and not be working 12-16 hour days.

I have 3 deliveries to do today. Then I'm officially "off" for the rest of the year! Even though I am not completely off. I have to still get ready for my bridal show at the beginning of January and have some display cakes to work on for that and a couple venues I work with, but this will all be on my own time, so it's less pressure. I can already feel a bit of that black cloud that's been hanging over my head start to lift. Plus, it's 1 week to Christmas! I am ready to enjoy this season and be positive and happy. I'm almost over stewing about my evil customer earlier this week......it's hard for me to let some things go, but I'm just about there. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #47 of 53

I've been feeling that way too...only I end up with so many novelty cakes I'm sick of them, and hoping to get more weddings next year. I'd rather do 1-2 weddings per week than 2-3 pain-in-the-butt novelty cakes with gumpaste figures and funky colors and lotsa details. I tried taking two weeks off but then had someone redeem a raffle free cake certificate that was about to expire so now I have a cake on Christmas week. Then one week off....but then a HUGE cake (nice for the money tho) on Jan 8.

But after that I'll probably get a "breather" and I think I'm gonna be a lot more picky about the orders I take.

But I know where you're coming from.

And BTW your MOB is definitely nutso. Complaining about bow placement...oh brother!!!! Sorry you have to deal with that. Your cakes are lovely.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #48 of 53

I think what I like about your cake the most is --

It is elegant, stately, guietly ornate, dramatic and still yet has a lightness and personality with a glint of whimsy. It comes off assured and confident. It kinda seems like Great Aunt Louise, a former model who never lost her charm, is all dressed up for the ball and is winking playfully at yah for a golden moment. Reminds me of an angel with her fingers crossed behind her back.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm
post #49 of 53

I think you cake was beautiful, and I think your gallery shows the time and patience you put into each cake. It could be such a thing that you are just over-booking yourself. Finish up the orders you have and take a short break. It won't take long before you get that cake love back again. Try taking fewer orders. If you are working out of your home, you shouldn't have an extreme amount of overhead. Either that, or maybe, since you are not a people person you could train someone to deal with the "people" aspect of the business. It sounds like your business is doing well enough to pay someone a minimal fee to do the consulting, taking orders, emails, calls and delivery. This leaves you more time to concentrate on the part you do love, actually making the cakes. You are, however, dealing with the public, and you will on occasion have that PITA to deal with. You just need to have more confidence in your work, and I believe from the response you have gotten here your confidence should be significantly boosted. Best of luck and enjoy your Christmas break.

Edited to add: I think you just got conned. If the MOB is that adiment about you not contacting the bride, I would bet my next paycheck the bride doesn't even know she contacted you about a refund at all. Call the bride and let her know that you issued a refund per her mother's request.

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:05pm
post #50 of 53

You will have to update with if this yahoo calls back. Calling to chew you a new one because her daughter called, she didnt talk to her, but she was SURE the daughter was calling about you? WOW. She needs therapy and a Xanax.
Your work is beautiful, dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. Have a good 2 weeks off!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:37pm
post #51 of 53

That is a beautiful cake and I'm so sorry you have to put up with that kind of crap. I've been so blessed so far to have wonderful brides and mob's. I just have 1 aob (aunt of the bride) who was going to make the wedding cake, started a business and didn't have to make it and she drove me nuts before the wedding. Luckily (?), I didn't hear from her after the wedding so I guess it went ok.

I really don't consider myself a people person and some people just wear me out. That said, my consultations are very comfortable, we talk, we laugh and I've had a number of customers talk about how fun/easy it was. I hate to talk on the phone and try to get hubby to answer the phone as much as possible.

I completely understand the burnout. I've been there so much of this year but I'm getting a little break in December. Just 2 wedding cakes and a few other small cakes, enough that money is still coming in but not enough to kill me. We aren't taking any orders next week so I can concentrate on bridal fair display cakes. I even turned down 2 wedding cakes and that just killed me to do. I think it will be fun to be able to be creative and make the cakes that I want to do. Then, I hope to hit the ground running. OH, and I'm finally turning in my notice at my other job on Jan 3 so starting the 3rd week in Jan, I get to focus solely on cakes! WooHOO!

Bouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bouse Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 1:04pm
post #52 of 53

I have had a look at your photographs and your cakes are just stunning. I hope your break and holiday recharge your batteries so that you produce more eye candy for beginners like me.

eXtremecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eXtremecakes Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 8:47pm
post #53 of 53

First of all your cakes are all gorgeous! I know exactly how you are feeling. I started about 10 months ago, within 3 months I had been contacted by TLC's amazing cakes, and also was commissioned to do the Smithsonian's 100th anniversary cake. I quickly out grew my kitchen and had to get a shop, which really cut into my ability to make any money. I have found that out of the week I am lucky to be able to go home once, and typically am stuck at work for 5-6 days in a row, with at least three of those days being all nighters. Recently I made a purse cake for a lady's daughter for her birthday. I only charged $150.00 and the cake took me close to two whole days to make. Afterwards the lady called me up and told me that she was unhappy because the tiers under the cake were not the same height. I lost it, lol, I had a complete emotional break down on the phone with the lady, I started bawling, (remember I had been at work for 5 days at this point and had very little sleep), and told the lady "I worked so hard on your cake, it took me several days to make, I wanted to give your little girl something really special, and on and on and on I went, lol, until I finally sobbed out, "I am quitting, I can not do this anymore, I kill myself on every cake, and I very seldom get anyone that calls and says thank you, but only get calls when someone is not happy with something, and they want to make sure I know about it. I didn't quit but I sure felt like it. I promised myself I would take fewer orders and go home more, well that hasn't happened yet. What I have started doing is making my husband answer the phone though lol! You are very talented, don't quit darling, take a break, and keep expressing yourself in your cakes. ~ Mandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%