How Do You Make Modeling Chocolate

Baking By kim_1 Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm by kim_1

kim_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim_1 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 8

Iv seen it on cake boos and is sound a lot easier to work with then gum paste for figures... I making a Mario cake and I need to start making him ASAP..

7 replies
kim_1 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 8

iv just seen a recipe on youtube that just melts the chocolate and adds corn syrup,, what could I use instead in the UK... honey?

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 8

I use 1 bag of chocolate wafers (from craft stores in any color), melt in microwave, then add 1/4 cup (light/clear) corn syrup, mix and pour onto wax paper. let cool completely, then roll up in the wax paper and seal in a ziplock plastic baggie until I need to use (but after 24 hrs). I think I got recipe from here. It always softens in your hands as you work it so don't be put off if it seems hard and crumbly. HTH

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 8

kim_1, here is a recipe to make your own corn syrup:

Ingredients
2/3 cup cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon powdered alum
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
Step 1: In a saucepan, mix the cold water and the cornstarch.

Step 2: Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir until it becomes clear.

Step 3: Add the sugar. Continue to boil until it reaches the consistency of prepared corn syrup.

Step 4: Remove from heat and add the vanilla and alum. Stir to dissolve. You may also want to add a drop of yellow food coloring to give the syrup the desired color.

This recipe makes around 2 cups of syrup.

Edited to add: in some countries, cornstarch is called corn flour. Corn syrup is very thick and slowly drips from a spoon.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

kim 1
I believe it is called golden syrup in the UK? I may be wrong though as I live in the states.
Cathy

kim_1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 9:41am
post #6 of 8

=thanks for the recipe Alfiesmom and 2SchnauzerLady I will have to have a go... Iv just had a look on Google and it looks like I might be able to get away with golden syrup its not the same thing though....

I will end up trying all these im writing down the recipes now icon_smile.gif

thanks , I love this forum icon_smile.gif I cant wait to try working with Modeling Chocolate

kim_1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 8

if I make it can I leave it in the fridge over night or can it only be for 5 hours and then stored in a tub out of the fridge?

kim_1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 8

Im gunna go make some now

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%