How Do I Completely Cover The Edges Of My Cake With Frosting

Decorating By dwredleg Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 3:35pm by TexasSugar

dwredleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dwredleg Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:39am
post #1 of 7

I always have shadowing around the tops of my cakes. Can someone please tell me the secret to icing without shadowing? Thanks in advance!!!!

6 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:52am
post #2 of 7

go to you tube and search for edna butter cream, and watch her ice a cake...........
here it is

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:05am
post #3 of 7

What is shadowing or what is it from? Do you scrape too much off and the cake shows through at bald spots? You mentioned the edge... if you have a crusty edge, you can trim it off with a pair of scissors.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:51am
post #4 of 7

I have this same problem, so I can't help....but I would love to hear what others have to say! I assumed it was because I wasn't putting enough icing or taking too much off during the smoothing process. It still doesn't seem to matter....and it's only around the top.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:43am
post #5 of 7

The shadowing is coming from taking too much icing off. Do as madgeowen says and look at edna's video on the link she has given you.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:55am
post #6 of 7

i've seen a method on here that i've adopted and loved =D put a normal layer of icing on the cake, smooth it (shadowing may occur here), put the cake in the freezer for 5-10min, then take it out and put another layer of frosting on top of the original coat. the frozen icing layer will stay in place so you can't take too much off, plus all the "shadowing" spots should be gone and your cake will have a nice, thick layer of icing on it =D hth!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

When doing the top edge of the cake make sure the spatula is either flat across the time or flat against the side. We often like to angle the spatula over the edges when we are icing them, and that will take off too much icing and give you a rounded edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%