Italian Cupcake With Cold Custard Swirl

Baking By Sweet_Toof Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 1:20am by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 7

I was trying to find a cupcake recipe that won't go too firm when I put it in the fridge
I wanted to make a batch of cupcakes, and then cut the top off, put a big swirl of cold custard, and put the top back on, dusting with icing sugar
They'll obviously have to go back in the fridge so the custard won't go off, but I know the cake will go hard.
What sort of cake can I use that won't go too hard in the fridge?
I was also thinking of moistening the cake with a little liqueur to give it that italian flavour

6 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

I found this:

What I also love about these cupcakes is that they stay soft when refrigerated. The butter in cupcakes usually make them too firm when eaten straight from the refrigerator, but these vegan cupcakes, with no butter, stayed soft (okay, well, they firmed up slightly) and tasted great straight out of the refrigerator.

http://www.sweetestkitchen.com/2010/08/vegan-chocolate-cupcakes/

Maybe you can substitute the chocolate for flour? Not sure.

Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 10:17am
post #3 of 7

I've got a really nice vanilla cupcake recipe thats from Magnolia Bakery's book...would I be able to take the butter out and perhaps replace it with oil? (how much if so)

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 7

For anyone that may be interested in knowing how I went with these - they were supurb.
I did magnolia bakery vanilla cupcakes
I sliced the tops off
I moistened with an orange liquier using a pastry brush
I then swirled on italian white custard
I put the tops back on and dusted with sugar - YUM. Will be making again icon_smile.gif
It was a nice refreshing change to buttercream and I know how much everyone loves eating custard.

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:03am
post #5 of 7

Where did you get the recipe for the custard?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

My mother got it from a good friend. It was basically sugar, milk, cornflour, vanilla
thickened over heat, then beated once cold... then whipped cream folded in

Sweet_Toof Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

My mother got it from a good friend. It was basically sugar, milk, cornflour, vanilla 1 whole lemon
thickened over heat, then beated once cold... then whipped cream folded in

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%