Sugar On Cake & Winter Cake Ideas

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 2:56am by sillywabbitz

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 5

I love this beautiful, wintry cake by Farnazmom3.

I want to use some of those ideas for a 60th birthday cake. I have some questions.

Is the sugar pressed into buttercream or glued onto fondant? Can I put it on buttercream? If so, any suggestions to make it easy? If not, do I use corn syrup to stick the sugar to the fondant?

I won't be making a topsy turvy cake, just standard tiers. If I make it three tiers, will it loom ok? I know it won't be as beautiful as farnazmom3's cake, or have the same effect, but I don't have time to practice a topsy turvy and I've never made one before.

Also, I want to add some gum paste snowflakes (because I want to use my new plunger cutters!). If anyone has any ideas or pics of good placement for snowflakes, please let me know.

Thanks so much!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
leah_s Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 12:15am
post #2 of 5

The sugar adheres just fine on buttercream. I do it frequently.

Debcent Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 12:34am
post #3 of 5

Leah, What is the trick to get the sugar on the sides without it all falling down. I tried this and had a hard time getting it to stick evenly. Then I found myself pushing the sugar on with my hand and made my buttercream have dents. Please share some tips!!! Thank you

indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

My last "official" cake was winter wonderland wedding with sugar on it. Using plenty of no-skid material and lots of large sheets of parchment under the cake (to catch the overflow), I put the cake on my turntable and elevated the turntable on one side, making the cake lean. Then it was easy to pour the sugar onto the sides of the cake, turning the turntable to get an even coating. the BC should be moist so the sugar sticks .... I used a spray bottle to lightly mist the dry spots.

Here's the pic with some info on how much sugar I needed adn some other how-to tips, etc.

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:56am
post #5 of 5

How is the texture/taste of the sugar on the frosting? I was hoping to do this on a cream cheese flavored frosting and I'm afraid the sugar might not fit well with the flavor...any thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%