Complete Newbie Here... Fondant Advice?

Baking By angellchristine Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 4:20am by cakesrock

angellchristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angellchristine Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 3

I have only ever made fondant twice, so I am really new to all of this icon_redface.gif I had a lot of fun making the cakes though, and commited myself to making a dessert cake for a Christmas party. And I want to use fondant.

So for you expert fondant makers out there, how do you get the fondant so white? Whenever I have made it (marshmallow kind), it's turned out kind of an 'off-white' color. And I want it to be snow white. Any tips or tricks?

Also, the last time that I made it, the fondant had little tiny powdered sugar balls in it that I could not roll out (so it did not turn out smooth like the first time that I made it... but I can't remember what I did differently!) How do I avoid this? Should I have spent more time kneading it?

Thanks!!

2 replies
kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 3

I've only made fondant a hand full of times. I used the marshmallow fondant as well and doesn't seem to have an off white color. If you add vanilla, make sure it's clear vanilla.

You could also add the white food coloring just to make it brighter. As far as the powdered sugar balls left in the fondant, I haven't had that happen. I do let the fondant sit overnight, so that may help. Just make sure to wrap it in greased saran wrap and let it sit. I let darker colors sit longer.

Good luck!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 3

If you make MMF, you have to be sure not to overheat your marshmallows. You will get air bubbles and a darker color. You have to melt them in the stirring. But homemade is usually off a bit from pure white. You can add a whitener - i have in the past. You can also sift your powdered sugar to avoid the lumps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%