Is It Even Possible???

Baking By Bethroze Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 9:22pm by Bethroze

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 9

Is it even possible to bake 180 dozen cookies in one day? That is 2160 cookies!!! Unless I am a Keebler elf, I just don't see it happening... icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 9

If you bake 24 cookies at a time at 10 min. baking time and keep it going with no break in the every 10 min. cycle- you can do it in 15 hours. If you need to add the time it will take to make the dough and also packaging the cookies, you probably should add another 9 hours to make for 24 hours total. So yes, possible, but no sleeping, eating or long bathroom breaks!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 9

If you worked non-stop for 16 hours and could do all of the mixing, decorating and packaging during the baking time I still don't see how you could get them finished.

2160 cookies @ 16 hrs = 135 cookies per hour

Assuming you could bake 24 at a time that's 5.6 baking cycles (12 minutes) for the 135 cookies so every hour you'd fall behind 7 minutes.

I'm not a big cookie baker but why not bake and freeze them ahead of time, then pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes and decorate them on the last day.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 9

You need to buy a rack that gives you the ability to put 4 cookie trays in your oven at once. It's priceless.

Bethroze Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 9

I have been helping out baking part time at a restaurant. I was told yesterday that they had received an order for 15 baskets of cookies. This morning it was 20 baskets of 9 dozen each and they are due tomorrow. SAY WHAT!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 9

if your working at a restaurant, how many cookies can you bake at one time? Msot restaurants i know I would be able to bake a minimum of 4 dozen cookies at a time (most places more)

How many people are they going to put on this project? If I had two people, one on oven duty primarily, and one on mixing primarily (both making the dough balls and cleaning up i see it as a definite possibility of being done.

I used to work at a place that had a walk in oven that held two rolling racks. We could put 15 trays on a rack, a dozen cookies on a tray (probably more, but they always made big ones) so we could bake 30 dozen cookies in about 12 minutes.

it all depends on the equipment you have.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethroze

I have been helping out baking part time at a restaurant. I was told yesterday that they had received an order for 15 baskets of cookies. This morning it was 20 baskets of 9 dozen each and they are due tomorrow. SAY WHAT!!!

LOL!!!! Gotta love corporate America who doesn't think about the gifts for their business partners til the day BEFORE they are due!!! Good luck to you and the bakery!!!! A viable option would be to send a baker to a neighbor bakery to do half the work in their oven. Or just sub out half the order to them. Both businesses profit.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

if your working at a restaurant, how many cookies can you bake at one time? Msot restaurants i know I would be able to bake a minimum of 4 dozen cookies at a time (most places more)

How many people are they going to put on this project? If I had two people, one on oven duty primarily, and one on mixing primarily (both making the dough balls and cleaning up i see it as a definite possibility of being done.

I used to work at a place that had a walk in oven that held two rolling racks. We could put 15 trays on a rack, a dozen cookies on a tray (probably more, but they always made big ones) so we could bake 30 dozen cookies in about 12 minutes.

it all depends on the equipment you have.

WOW!!! Now that is a big oven. It makes my little cocktail oven which doesn't fit more than 2 -8 inch pans together look like really really really bad!!!!

Bethroze Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 9

Those are big ovens!
I could fit three large sheets in the oven at a time. Smaller sized cookies, I was averaging four dozen a sheet this morning. Of course, this was as I shared the kitchen with the cook and had to boil water to wash the one mixing bowl I had because the hot water pipes had frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%