Customer Wants To Transport....

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 7:59pm by Tclanton

Tclanton Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 26

a tiered cake unstacked. My issue with this is that - what will happen on site when they try to stack? They dont want to pay for me bringing it after I offered to take it for half the fuel cost. Oh well - lets just say, I hear all the horror stories on here and it bothers me. So, what would you do - send it in two boxes, or purchase SPS and bite the bullet? She isnt comfy transporting a tiered cake - UG!!

Next - she wants a 10 and 8 inch square - ok - so are there boards for this, or do I cut my own?

Sorry for being lengthy and I know that this has been a topic many times, but really unsure as to what is best. I am relatively new (only 17 cakes under my belt) and the last thing I need is for someone to speak negatively.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa

25 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 26

1) I wouldn't do it. She has no idea to stack a cake safely. If you decide to do it, have her sign a waiver releasing you from liability once the cakes leave your doorstep.

2) You should be able do order square cakeboards online. Try a google search.

ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 26

I would assemble the thing and let her transport it stacked! she isnt a decorator, so how would she know how to do the finishing touches!? I have made plenty of 2 tier cakes and all have transported beautifully. Pretty sure you can find square boards to fit, but if not, trimming shouldn't be too difficult!

ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 26

try fondant source.com (no space) thats who I order all my supplies from! They are great!

Narie Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 26

What kind of car/van does she have? If she has a Mini van with an open, flat area in the back, no problem transporting a stacked two tier cake. Just put it the van for her and tell her to drive very carefully - no sudden change of direction. If it is a car, does she have a large, flat area to set the cake in? Some trunks would be good; others, not so much.
Bottom line does she have the right car.

Has she stacked a cake before? Or is there someone at the destination who has experience stacking cakes. If there is someone who knows what they are doing (or thinks they do), then don't worry about it. But do get that waiver releasing you from liability signed. Also get pictures including the placement of your support system just in case.

xanikesmom Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 26

I had a bride request this once and I said 'no'. First of all, there is much more to stacking a cake than people realize. Second, I tend to stack and then finish decorating - so in my situation it would have been giving the bride 3 plain white tiers and the ribbon she wanted on there and saying "Have fun!". I would tell this person she either transports it stacked or allows you to deliver.

Tclanton Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 26

The vehicle in question is a compact car. She works with me, so I dont worry too much about the liability, however my name is still on the line here. I have already told her that she would need a heavy piece of wood for her back seat and about had a coronary when she said that someone would hold the 8 inch. I explained that disaster in detail.

I appreciate your feedback - keep it coming as I have no idea where to "run" right now.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 26

If your contract states, you are not responsible for anything after it leaves you...then I say let her do it and deal with the consequences!

The bad part; it's going to look icky and she will make sure everyone knows you did the cake. She will conveniently forget to tell every one she tried to save a few bucks.

So in all honesty, never let the customer stack their own cake!

The least expensive I've done square boards is foam core. I did have to invest in a square from Home Depot, but after that the only money I spend is for exacto blades.

cupadeecakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 26

I send customers with 2 tier birthday cakes all the time. Just make sure you support it well and run a dowel down the center and it should travel fine. I do agree that the wrong type of car and be a bad thing, but I usually get my cakes into whatever car the customer comes in.

Narie Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 26

OK, she works with you. Ask her if she can arrange to have someone with the "right" car pick it up. Geesh! a compact car. Shakes head.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

OK, she works with you. Ask her if she can arrange to have someone with the "right" car pick it up. Geesh! a compact car. Shakes head.

Now that's the concept!

My Dad just bought a RAV4, didn't think about how the back lies down. He's a little miffed since it doesn't do level.

leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 26

SPS was developed for just this sort of thing. It's CHEAP, it's easy, it's sturdy.

Tclanton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 26

She doesnt have any other vehicle or family in the area to transport. This cake will travel a little more than an hour down the road. Ug - scary!!!!!

Can someone once again provide the link to the SPS system?

aligotmatt Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:49pm
post #14 of 26

I send stacked cakes with people too. I will only do it with the sps or Wilton hidden pillars and plates with feet. Then I talk to them about how to drive (no slamming on breaks, no fast acceleration, take turns extremely slow...) then I tell to drive like they have an unbuckled baby sleeping on the backseat. After only 1 terrible break slamming driver, I've never had any problems at all with it.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:21pm
post #15 of 26

This is not directed at any one particular--just an in general statement

Y'know so many of us like to wax eloquent that I'm "self taught". Well no not at all--you might have chosen your own curriculum but you're totally gleaning and learning and walking in the snow prints of the cake bears that have left the pathway through the forest. A book, a store, an internet, you tube...

With all that said, every caker worth their salt needs to ultimately be able to not only dowel, box and transport cakes themselves they need to be able to help their clients transport cakes in convertible sportscars stacked and unstacked.

If cakers can be 'self-taught' then clients can figure out how to stack a cake.

How's about you level the car seat with a roll of paper towels or something? How's about you instruct your client how to handle this? Some of them are ok with stacking some of them are ok with transporting stacked.

You think your clients should go buy a new car in order to get one of your cakes? phffft

genevieveyum Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 26

I've transported stacked cakes in cars that weren't ideal- dowel it, put it in a large box and yes- the paper towel roll is perfect for leveling (so is a rolled up newspaper) then I put the seat belt around it like it's a passenger. It's always worked fine for me.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:49pm
post #17 of 26

No no no no no I GOT IT!!!

We need a new clause for our 12 page contracts. Said cake buyer must own, lease or rent a van or uhaul, 18 wheeler (Peterbilt only 2005 or newer) or runaway ice cream truck deemed worthy enough of this blob of sugar and flour. Must show proof of insurance, a high school diploma or GED and pass a cake driving test administered twice yearly. Bachelor's degree preferred.

icon_lol.gif

denetteb Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 26

Even a compact car has a flat trunk and probably level floor on the front passenger side (move the seat all the way back for easier access to the floor). If you decide to go through with them self-delivering, just put some non-skid mesh in the trunk (that they have emptied out before they arrive) and put the cake/cakes there. I think that would be a lot safer than trying to level a seat. I have a Ford Focus and am able to get my hobby cakes where I want them to go.

Tclanton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 26

I have plenty of the non skid mesh. Thanks for that tip.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #20 of 26

If the cake is on a secure board it is very safe to level the car seat and deliver like genevieveyum said.

Tclanton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm
post #21 of 26

This cake is as important to the client as it is to me. This is her best friend of many years, and I only want her to be happy with the results. I cannot control anything that happens when she leave my door step; however I just know that I will be a hot mess if she tells me on Monday that something fell apart etc. I take it seriously for each client, not only those I work with. Things happen as we all read here on CC, and I knew with me only creating 17 cakes that I needed your support, suggestions, etc.

Thanks to those who have done just that. I wish I could just take it down for her, but fuel prices are out of the roof right now and I simply cannot afford that expense on my own.

I am positive that it will all work out for the best and Mommy to be will be happy.

cai0311 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:11pm
post #22 of 26

I deliver STACKED wedding cakes every weekend in the trunk of my compact car.

I don't see the big deal. put the stacked cake on a drum board, put a piece of non-slip stuff under the drum (the kind you put in your cupboards at home, can't think of its name) and put the cake in the trunk.

Tclanton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:35pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

I deliver STACKED wedding cakes every weekend in the trunk of my compact car.

I don't see the big deal. put the stacked cake on a drum board, put a piece of non-slip stuff under the drum (the kind you put in your cupboards at home, can't think of its name) and put the cake in the trunk.

Good afternoon! I dont have an issue transporting myself, just worried for my friend - that is all.

cai0311 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:26pm
post #24 of 26

I know you are worried about your friend trasporting the cake, but I still don't see why. Many posters were saying because of the vehicle she drives - trunk is flat. Just explain how to drive slow and careful.

Tclanton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #25 of 26

Thanks for all your support, suggestions, etc. I have this all worked out.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Tclanton Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:59pm
post #26 of 26

This cake travelled over an hour, stacked, front seat of compact car (level), four small dowels in bottom layer, one large dowel through the center of both layers and was all in perfect order on arrival.

Thanks for all of your help - I am much more confident with my structure now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%