Darn Red Icing ...

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm by leily

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 10

I ALWAYS have a problem when I use antonias icing in the color red. It always dries dumb looking (no real way to describe it) I think it does this because it takes a lot of red to get a nice red color, even though I use americolor red red/ super red. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, while I'm at it .. I made cookies last night with antonias icing and they are still wet today. I put them in my oven last night so nothing would happen to them, but its bitter cold here and my kitchen is the coldest room of the house which means they were in a cold oven on cold cookie sheets overnight. I now have them out in the warmer end of the house but is there anything I could do to speed up the drying time? I NEED to bag them by tomorrow but was hoping to do that tonight.

9 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 10

Did you turn the light on while they were in the oven? If not try that, the heat from the bulb helps dry the icing.
evelyn

TheCakerator Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 10

no I didn't, but I will try that now .. thanks!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

i tried to dry her icing on sugar cookies a few weeks ago in the oven with the light on b/c i had heard that in the past too. I found it extended the drying time, i was highly dissapointed. If you do this make sure you leave the door cracked, i think since i let the door closed all the moisture that was excaping as they were drying was held in the oven and created more issues for me.

I found just putting a light breeze over them helps me the most. I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen so I turn that on if i need the cookies to dry faster.

TheCakerator Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 10

I have them in the oven right now, I should go crack the door and see how they are doing ... I never have a problem except when I use bold colors like red and now apparently blue ...

TheCakerator Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 10

just checked my cookies .. the icing that was dry now seems soft ... icon_cry.gif I can't win!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 10

When I need red or black, I use powdered colors right from the get go.
I always need to do deep colors for everything.

I only use the gels for more stuff and I can't get the powdered stuff to look right.

KrisCraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisCraft Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:56am
post #8 of 10

who makes powdered colors? I have only seen Americolor gels and Wilton gels...

TheCakerator Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah, where would I find powdered colors at? My red and blue cookies look really bad ... icon_sad.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

just checked my cookies .. the icing that was dry now seems soft ... icon_cry.gif I can't win!

that was the same issue i had, the middle was a little wet when i put them in the oven, but i wanted to hurry the process, i ended up extending the wait time b/c more of the "dry" areas got soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%